Greenish-yellowish Brown Residue on Old Favorite

AGruber

I found an old favorite pot, smiley logo era. After a few rounds of lye and electrolysis, the residue after wiping it down with a paper rag has a green yellow hue, a bit like normal grime mixed with tarnish on brass or bronze. I've cleaned a few pans with this method now and usually if there is any color to the residue when wiping it down, it is red or orangish black, which I assume is due to flash rust.

I tested the pot with a magnet and it is ferrous. It smells a little different from most iron. I wonder if it is an alloy.

Has anyone encountered this?

favorite was known to enamel some of their items... wouldn't think it would be wiping off with a rag from electrolysis... but other than that I have no idea.

As a favor, I once derusted a severely pitted combo cooker bottom that appeared to have been used as a flower pot. During and after electro, it also had some weird greenish residue thing going on. Not knowing the history for certain, there wasn't really any way to tell what was going on. I seasoned over it only to prevent rust coming back and told them to just use it as a decorative piece.

Back