Hello from Western Pennsylvania

Alan B

I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm not a collector/investor per se but I am building up a variety of pans that I use for every day cooking. I first got into cast iron 5-6 years ago, because of the poison in non-stick cookware.

Most of what I have is new Lodge Logic, and generic or chinese crap so far, but they have served their purpose well. I just bought my girlfriend 4 old Wagners for her kitchen and I'm going to be changing out my generics for Wagner/Griswold/etc. over time.

I look forward to learning as much as I can about restoration and care of vintage pieces.

Otherwise I am a lover of all that is old and am in the process of slowly restoring a house built in 1875. Just the other day I built a display rack to hang a few of them on the wall.

Are you sure you aren't a collector? That looks like a collection you have on display. Much like I got started years ago with a few pieces, soon to grow to over 1000 pieces. Much smaller collection these days however.

Haha! Not a collector YET I guess I should say! I have a feeling it may turn into a bit of an obsession once I learn more about how to identify the classics. I built the rack on the wall of the dining room to serve two purposes: one, because I have no more room in my kitchen for my pans (storing them inside the oven is annoying); and two, once I acquire some vintage pieces worth displaying and get rid of the chinese ones I can proudly display them on the wall.

Also FWIW the rack is made from a piece of pine trim and a piece of base cap from an 1880's Queen Anne Victorian that was recently demolished in the next town over. I was able to salvage a lot of trim before it came down. It's finished with straight tung oil and bolted to the wall with six antique looking square head lags, and the pans are hanging on old cut nails.

Back