Old Kettle

BarryL

I was given 3 old pieces of Cast iorn.

1) A Griswold Dutch 9 Dutch oven in perfect condition.

2) A 20 inch unmarked skillet that someone had used to drain their motor oil in (yuck!).

3) A kettle that has thick scaly rust inside.

I have the first 2 cleaned, and I even cooked beans in the Dutch oven yesterday. I am stumped on what to do about the old Kettle I tried vinegar and water but that didn't even touch the scaly rust. I don't know that I want to actually use it, but I do want to get the scaly rust off of it. I was thinking about getting it media blasted has anyone tired that method?

I have one, but I haven't used it in years. I have no clue if it works or not. I switched to using a low power automatic charger about 20 years ago when I started ridding a motorcycle.

Barry, when I first set up an e-tank, I used a manual charger that had been my dad's. it had been in his garage for many years without being touched. I plugged it in and it worked fine. As long as you don't have any frayed wires, yours will probably work fine.

Setting up a tank is easy. You'll probably need a larger bucket/container than I have ... but here's what I did ...

I bought a five gallon Home Depot bucket, four pieces of rebar (maybe 2 feet long) and some copper wire (can't remember the gauge, but I think Doug has it listed in his link). I put the rebar in the four "corners" of the bucket and punched a hole on each side of each rebar. Then I wrapped copper wire several times around the rebar and through the holes. Then I joined the copper wire from the rebar to another length of wire which runs from rebar to rebar around the outside of the bucket. The ends of the wire are held together by a screw cap.

To hold the skillet in the bucket, I have a 2x1 piece of wood across the bucket. I put a nail in the middle and a nail near one end. I have copper wire running from nail to nail and then it hangs off of the nail in the middle and around a hook I fashioned out of wire from a hanger. I set it up this way so the charger clamp was not hanging over the water.

Positive clamp on one piece of rebar and negative on the nail on the end of the board.

Not the fanciest set up, but it works.

Back