If You Had To Pick Only Two Pan Sizes...??

Thanks for the feedback on that. I'm not so much interested in the rarity as much as the performance and initial condition... and a lid.

But if that's over market value by a lot, that's great to know. Is there a "Blue Book" for these sorts of things? I wonder what it's worth?

Would be cool to find a dealer with a lot of reviews, etc. Not finding an eBay Griswold dealer so far.

Thanks again for the feedback

Mighty helpful bunch of folks around here. Thank you very much.

I have really enjoyed looking at all of the old cast iron items. What a fabulous era I missed. Really something.

Any well known sellers of these items? Maybe that's not forum policy to discuss sellers.

Ted
Most of the fun is "hunting" the iron. Anyone can go to eBay and pay retail plus shipping. I really like going to small town resale shops and flea markets and finding old iron I can breathe new life into. If you are not into the "hunt" watch ebay and pay attention co completed sales. That will tell you what the market is. Its all about the condition and the availability

I totally get that part, and would look forward to partaking in that fun next summer.

In the meantime, I'm about to install a new induction cooktop, making all of my old cookware obsolete. So I'm buying new cookware and want a really nice versatile piece of vintage cast iron... kinda quick.

The rest of my collection I can search around for as you say

Ted
Most of the fun is "hunting" the iron. Anyone can go to eBay and pay retail plus shipping. I really like going to small town resale shops and flea markets and finding old iron I can breathe new life into. If you are not into the "hunt" watch ebay and pay attention co completed sales. That will tell you what the market is. Its all about the condition and the availability
I agree. I love to drive some place and spot some little old shop on the side. Always stop. I go to antique places, but rarely. Usually I just stop at a garage sale or yard sale and talk to them. I'll talk about some of the things they have, what they do for fun or a living and then tell them of my interests. A lot of times they may have a piece they forgot about and drag it out. I hunt and fish, it's not called "killing" and "catching," lot of times you come home empty handed--same with iron hunting. But it's all fun!!

Does anyone know if induction works well with a pan that has a heat ring? I am not sure. As to the original question, my answer depends on if we are talking family cooking or single or couple cooking. For the latter I'd probably go with a deep 5 and an 8 with lid. I use my unmarked Favorite 5 all the time, and it is a bit deeper and has more volume than my other fives. That and something like a BSR 8 with lid would cover everything I'd need for single or even couple cooking.

If I were consistently cooking for a family (as I am), I'd want a bigger skillet, likely a 10, and a Dutch oven, probably an 8-10. I think for family cooking a Dutch oven is much better than a deep fryer. IMHO.

Jared, the heat ring won't change the use, from my readings. The EM field reaches up a few inches. I haven't used one yet, myself.

To get back on track of this thread, I'd have a #10 skillet and a Wagner Chicken Fryer with lid. We cooked everything from popcorn to pancakes in Mom's #10. The Chicken Fryer I have (#8) works as a chili pot, a gumbo pot, a soup pot, as well as stew pot and roast pot--chicken, beef, pork or whatever, as well as its intended purpose. Can't cook for the masses with them, but for a family of 5 or 6, work quite well.

Back