A wave from Michigan :-)

ADStrait

HI! My name is Amy and I live in beautiful Western Michigan. I have had 2 cast iron pans for a while but they never seemed to be seasoned right - they were always sticky and everything stuck when I cooked in them. I tried unsuccessfully a few times to use them, always giving up! I finally found a CI page on FB that had some great care instructions and my pans are now FAB.U.LOUS!!!!
I have been adding to my collection pretty regularly through local thrift stores and online auctions. I love the pans but think I am addicted to the restoration process. Taking a rusty, crusty, dirty pans and turning them into things of beauty is so amazing!!! It is even better when you find an old pan hidden behind the gunk!!
My oldest pan is a 1940s 3-notch #3 Lodge. But I am currently looking at an unmarked, gate-marked #8 skillet (posting pics in another part of the forum for identification and value help).
I love my pans and look forward to sharing and learning with all of you here!!!

Hi Amy, Welcome to the forum. Put a log on the fire and pull up a chair, lots to learn here. We like eye candy photos.:icon_thumbsup:
How deep is your snow?

I have been adding to my collection pretty regularly through local thrift stores and online auctions. I love the pans but think I am addicted to the restoration process.

This is how it starts...........

I've had a number of different collections over the years, and it always started, at least with me, finding the nice clean ones. Then it evolved. I more thoroughly enjoyed finding the ones nobody wanted because they were dirty, non working, rusty, ugly etc. Taking them (Whatever it was) home, cleaning, fixing, polishing, painting, and making it something worth 5-10x what I paid for it.

My previous collections included vintage (100+ year old) cameras, 50's and earlier vending/gambling machines, 80+ year old electric fans. Most of them needed work, most of them I picked up cheap, and all of them were way more complicated to restore than a skillet. :) I've only been collecting cast iron for a little over a year, but am having a lot of fun hunting, cleaning, learning about, and cataloging my iron.

First rule of cast iron - Have Fun!!! :icon_thumbsup:

Back