Christmas Ham

DavidR

Didn't some one ask what to do with the old CI tubs? - Salt cured ham - its the only thing I have big enough to take a 17lb ham.
Christmas Ham.jpg

Soaked for 2 days, simmered on stove for 6 hours and then glazed, waiting for Santa.
Finished Ham.jpg

I saw what I believe is that exact pot for sale yesterday. $85. I wondered to myself what I'd cook in it. Now I know.

Aw shucks ( can you hear the southern twang). Seen that same ham cooked dozens of times by my mammy. In the old days they could get a drum called a lard can, bring the ham to a boil over a fire in the back yard and then bury it for a day. When they dug it up, it was tender and cooked all the way through. Can't do anything like that these days. Hard enough to even find a good quality salt cured ham.

Very Nice job with the ham. Merry Christmas.

We are having smoked ham from Dakin Farms in VT. I do all the smoked cooking here, but it was a gift. Will enjoy.

bury it for a day. When they dug it up, it was tender and cooked all the way through. Can't do anything like that these days. Hard enough to even find a good quality salt cured ham.

When I was a kid I remember a neighbor had slaughtered a huge hog, then had some pit barbecue where there was a hole, fire, coals, foil, banana leaves, etc.. Buried for hours, and a giant party when we dug it up. I must have been 6-8 years old, and it left a lasting impression.

Back