Can Anyone Help Me Identifying These Items?

Karl R

Hello, I’m new to the community and I want to say hello and thanks for having me. I had no idea that there was such a passion for cast iron cookware... I’m mind blown. I have a few questions regarding identification. Hopefully I can get the photos to load.

1. The Wagner Ware Bread Stick Pan... I noticed it doesn’t say “Ohio” but it says everything else that you would expect it to say. I have also seen that same pan on the internet, so I was pleased to see that it isn’t only me with it. Also, what does the “E.” stand for?

2. The N.E.S. Muffin Pan... No Markings whatsoever. I do see similar pans when I’m out and about, but I don’t know what is it.

3. The Skillet... I know that there is a section here with tips on identifying unmarked items. My guess on this was an unmarked Vollrath.

Any help is appreciated. I feel a little bit guilty asking all these questions and I even have a few more but I can only upload three photos. Thanks so much for taking time to read my post and an extra thanks for taking a stab at one of my questions.

Attachments

• 36078F2D-11CE-4BEB-897D-382DABE656A5.jpg
    36078F2D-11CE-4BEB-897D-382DABE656A5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1E098BCB-9255-432D-8CD3-68D8D12FF108.jpg
    1E098BCB-9255-432D-8CD3-68D8D12FF108.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0FDAFAB5-34B7-402F-9F84-073BABEB8A59.jpg
    0FDAFAB5-34B7-402F-9F84-073BABEB8A59.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 35
Wagner designated most all its gem, muffin and bread pans with a unique letter See: http://www.castironcollector.com/gems.php#wagner This one, however, appears to be a knock-off that (shamelessly) used a Wagner pan as the basis for a pattern.

Popular shapes like the NES were widely copied. Without markings, IDing the maker is unlikely. If an identical marked version is found, it still may be someone else's copy of it.

Vollrath, yes.

3 photo per post attachment limit. More can be added (if needed) in a reply.

Doug, thanks a lot for your input! Haha, a small piece of me is very irritated about having bought something that’s not authentic. However, I have made some serious zucchini bread, cornbread and banana bread with the pans. They seem to be of good quality even with it being a knockoff.

Unlrelated, I hear that a lot of people have a big issue with the surface of newer cast iron pans being “rough” in texture. I have a large Lodge cast iron pan that I got a while back. I’ll say that with normal use, that roughness has virtually disappeared as the seasoning has built up. What I liked most about the older pans was the weight. It was a relief not having to lift that heavy thing. I saw a guy on the internet buying some cheap Lodge pans and refinishing them so that they mirrored the pans of the past. He was charging 100 dollars... to each their own. :geek:

I have a big Lodge, a #14.....it was very rough at first, but 3 years of cooking off and on with it has made it like glass...but it is heavy, lol

I have a big Lodge, a #14.....it was very rough at first, but 3 years of cooking off and on with it has made it like glass...but it is heavy, lol

That’s a big Lodge... a ski Lodge. Hahaha! I think those heavy pans can be useful. All depends on what you’re cooking. I like making paella in that heavy pan sometimes. I can start on the stove, steal the lid from the dutch oven and finish it in the oven. Fantastic. :icon_thumbsup:

Back