Post E-tank Spotting

A.Smith

Hi all!

So, pulling some things that have been in the E-tank for at least 24hrs at 7amps, I notice spotting and shading on certain areas. Scrubbing with pot scrubber nor fine steel wool seems to be making a difference. Take a look at this album if you would be so kind:

https://imgur.com/a/QcFFr

Would this be carbon? What are the differences between the dark spots versus the gradient shading? And what can effectively get this off? MORE time in the E-tank? Wire wheel? How polished should I get these?

Thanks so much!

Wire wheel is not recommend on collectible items,only hand tools,stainless steel wire brush is the best,on those black spots I don't think you can do much about it,some pieces comes out completely clean and some with black spots,is normal just dry it out and the seasoning will cover that you won't notice there was a shadow or little black spots.

do you use only an e-tank? or do you also use lye/oven cleaner?

I tend to use both... usually lye first and electrolysis to finish them up... and usually only an hour or two at most. the combination seems to work best. If I have something like this after electrolysis, I spray a little oven cleaner on the spots... let it sit an hour or so.. scrub it with a stainless steel brush... let it sit a bit longer... scrub again... eventually the black bits surrender.

Hiya!

Thanks for all of the replies!

So I did the EasyOff HD in bag thing for a night for both after a short session in the E-tank and before I put them back in the tank for some more time. That was before I took these photos.

I haven't used a lye bath because I don't have that have many things to clean/season and I also have septic so wouldn't want to risk messing with it and pissing my landlord off (from what I've read people caution against the lye baths and septic). But if people recommend it to do a better job and can recommend it being safe for the septic then I'll consider it again.

As for now, would it be worth it to have both of them do some more time in the bag with spray and then do some more time in the E-tank with some new water?
Or should I just say hell with it and go ahead and reseason?

A. Smith-

Im on septic and use a lye bath. Its not recommended to dump your tank down the drain when on septic, but theres no need to anyways. I been using the same lye bath solution for over 6 months for many pans and its still just as good as the day I started it. What little lye solution you rinse off the pan and down the drain is so diluted you wont have a problem, at least I havnt yet. Get a good container with a latching lid to put your lye in, keep it in a secure location away from kids/pets, and theres no need to change it very often. Hope this helps.

Remember, when diluted properly, you can dump into your grass without killing it.

I wouldn't dump it down your drain.

Back