Baltimore Cast Iron Pot 15 Gallon

ADomshick

I know nothing about cast iron but I found this at a yard sale and was wondering the approximate value. It says "15 gallon" and "Baltimore" on it. For some reason the "A" in Baltimore is gone. Owner only knew they have had it for about 45 years. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pot 1.jpg
    pot 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 85
  • pot 2.jpg
    pot 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 78
  • pot 3.jpg
    pot 3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 83
Value on those is hard to pin down and seems to vary by geographic location. Stew pots/wash pots/cauldrons similar to that are fairly common down here and sell for around $75-$125 or so. Of course, condition means a lot and that one looks to be in very good shape.

Interesting, lots of local casters used "bootlegged" molds made from pre-existing examples to cast their version or these cauldrons. Did you buy this cauldron/pot/kettle? If so is the bottom marked with an elongated gate mark or a rounded sprue mark. This can help with the date.

Google sprue marked cast iron and look at the style of your pot.

Comment: Some of the older pieces I've seen have "missing" letters or misspellings in the marks on them; I've always thought that might indicate less standardized manufacture. What does anyone else think?

The majority of the ones I've seen in my neck of the woods don't have the name of the manufacturer. In fact most are completely unmarked with a few having only the size number on them and they are way less common. I have my Grandfather's that has a sprue mark. One of the eyes for lifting is broken but I always remember it sitting on the ground with a wood fire around it at hog killings.

Ok i checked it out and it has a gate mark. Looks like about a 6 inch straight line on the bottom of the pot.

Again, cast iron pots/cauldrons are new to me so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Attachments

• pot gate mark.jpg
    pot gate mark.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 46
Generally accepted among black pot/ cauldron/ scalding/ laundry/ lard rendering/ kettle collectors..... sprue marked iron is older then gate marked. Generally speaking. A different casting method.

I agree with the good deal. I offered $75 for an unmarked one about the same size but they wouldn't budge as it was already marked down to $100. When I see one for fifty bucks it's always either cracked, has holes drilled in it, one or both lifting eyes or the top edge broken off or just rusted beyond use except maybe a flower pot!

Back