Dating LODGE 3 Notch Pieces

BenjaminO

Collecting cast iron here in Santa Cruz, California I find an abundance of unmarked Lodge pieces. The majority are of the 3 notched heat ring variety, WITHOUT "SK" or "Made in USA" markings. All have the tiny post-automation pour spouts. They are fine users, have a good thickness for retaining heat when you want that kind of thing.
My questions is, if anyone knows the answer, is when did Lodge switch to tiny pour spouts, and when did they start marking "SK" and "Made in USA"?
Are all of these pieces from the 1940's?

Lodge's website says they instituted automated molding in 1950. I have a feeling it may not have been the high speed DISA machinery, but automated nonetheless. Markings like SK are considered to have begun in the 1950s, with Made In USA added mid-1960s or so. There may very well have been a period where automated pieces had neither marking.

Does the presence/lack of the raised molder's mark indicate anything about when it's from? Some of the pans I have do have raised numbers, while some do not. All have small pour spouts, compared to the LODGE arc piece in my collection.

I saw one of these skillets today (three notches in the ring). It wasn't in too bad condition. Seller was asking $10 for it. Are these good "user" pans? Should I go back tomorrow and snag it if it's still available?

Precisely dating unmarked 3-notch Lodge pans can be difficult. Pour spouts may have gotten somewhat smaller, compared to older pans, even before automation. It would be safe to say that pieces with a raised molder's mark are going to be earlier than those without.

Important to note that many changes took place during the unmarked 3-notch period, so all are not created equal. Always look for polished cooking surfaces, and choose those over unpolished whenever possible.

I saw one of these skillets today (three notches in the ring). It wasn't in too bad condition. Seller was asking $10 for it. Are these good "user" pans? Should I go back tomorrow and snag it if it's still available?

What size skillet? Smooth or rough cooking surface? Look for defects such as cracks or warping (not that I have ever bought a cracked or warped skillet :oops:). Not sure that I would pay $10 for a #3, but a larger one might be a good buy at 10 clams. A larger one with a smooth finish could certainly be a bargain at that price.

I think it was a #8. I will go back tomorrow and see if it's still there. It was in pretty decent shape and I think it was smooth. Stay tuned ...

And OP - sorry to thread jack.

Jennifer, before I became more serious about improving my CI collection (read obsessed), most of the pans I used everyday were Lodge 3-notch pieces. I must say they are fantastic performers with great cooking surfaces. Really the only negative thing I can say about them is that some, but not all, are on the heavy side, with walls that are unnecessarily thick. However for baking those thick wall can be a positive since they hold more heat. That being said, my new favorite pan I've added to my collection is a c.1920's Lodge arc #5:tasty:
I would still not pass up on a #8 in good shape for $10. It would at least make a great gift for someone you want to introduce to cast iron!

Jennifer, before I became more serious about improving my CI collection (read obsessed), most of the pans I used everyday were Lodge 3-notch pieces. I must say they are fantastic performers with great cooking surfaces. Really the only negative thing I can say about them is that some, but not all, are on the heavy side, with walls that are unnecessarily thick. However for baking those thick wall can be a positive since they hold more heat. That being said, my new favorite pan I've added to my collection is a c.1920's Lodge arc #5:tasty:
I would still not pass up on a #8 in good shape for $10. It would at least make a great gift for someone you want to introduce to cast iron!

Great idea Benjamin. I am going to try and stop in there this afternoon. I am in a dr office now for a minor cut and hope to get out of here soon so I can stop in there. They are only open weekends, so ... If not today, next Friday. Thx for the feedback on them.

I have a #8 three notch that I believe dates from the late '40s to early '50s based on family history, and it actually isn't nearly as heavy as modern Lodge or some of the other vintage Lodge that I have. I think its weight is even closer to a Griswold than perhaps a Wagner Ware of similar era. It is probably my favorite user. It also has a cooking surface as smooth as any Griswold I've seen... but not all the Lodge that I've seen of similar vintage appear equal. If you're looking for a good user, then use your best judgement on condition and quality. Either way $10 isn't really a bad price for a #8 as long as it's in good (or restorable) condition. I frequently encounter $20 or more on unmarked #8 skillets... even at flea markets where you expect bargains.

Last edited:
The cost varies in different parts of the US. For instance, you would be hard pressed to find a 3-notch Lodge in WA for much less than $15-20.....

I'm agree with Doona,Here at Houston tx you can find those skillets for $6 and less, 2 weeks ago I bought 5 skillets for $15, 1 griddle and 1 #8 lodge new style, 1 Taiwan, an other griddle, bar,and the best a Wagner ware pre 1940,,here if the skillet is dirty is cheap,and if you find a brand new Taiwan most llikely is going to be expensive just because is clean.

Back