Dutch Oven Bail

Adam_R.

Hello,

After a few weeks in the lye bath (just didn't have the time to season), a dutch oven I was going to season still has some carbon build up on it. Was going to throw it in my E Tank but wasn't sure how the bail will hold up. Will the bail be OK in the E Tank? I'm sure it's not aluminum, but I'm not sure what they are actually made of. For reference it's a Iron Mountain DO.

Also, the bail is kind of stained up and not so great looking. Before I season the DO, I was thinking of taking some barkeeps friend to it with some fine steel wool. Is this a decent method of shining it up or does anyone have any other methods to consider?

Thanks,

Adam

I would also caution to be extremely careful of the bail when you season the dutch oven. I've been burnt (more than once, lol) by the hot bail swinging and hitting my arm when I turn the dutch oven over to apply the seasoning. Even a quick touch, at these temps, can sometimes result in a burn blister. Be careful.

I would also caution to be extremely careful of the bail when you season the dutch oven. I've been burnt (more than once, lol) by the hot bail swinging and hitting my arm when I turn the dutch oven over to apply the seasoning. Even a quick touch, at these temps, can sometimes result in a burn blister. Be careful.

I'm pretty sure this happened to me twice when I seasoned my first DO. Always a good reminder. Thanks

Back