Vinegar Bath

Adam_R.

Hello,

I came across a couple of pieces at a yard sale last weekend that have some type of nickel / chrome plating on them. They are in various degrees of bad condition and I was going to use vinegar to clean them us as my e-tank is not currently set up. Will the vinegar harm these other metal coatings? I know if left in a vinegar bath to long raw iron will be harmed, but wasn't sure about the coated stuff.

I also found a variety of long stainless steels spoons and other cookware. Can I safely use throw them in the vinegar to see if it will clean them a little too? I wasn't sure exactly what type of metal vinegar could put a hurting on. I'm assuming nicer metals like stainless steel or titanium would be impervious, but I figure I'd satisfy my curiosity with a group who know lots about metal.

Thanks!

Adam

The one thing that was drilled into my head in 9th grade home ec. class was to never use a silver fork to serve pickles - always use a stainless fork because vinegar will harm silver but not stainless.

I would suppose a pickle brine would tarnish a silver fork, but, since one would not normally leave it submerged in the liquid, that would be about it. Nickel and chrome, however, have no silver content.

Back