Warping Question

Adam_R.

So I recently found a large block logo Griswold #8. It's one of the few pieces that I have that sits 100% flat on my electric cooktop, and I'd like to keep it that way.

The question, how easily will it warp if I turn up the heat when it's empty. If i were cooking a steak, I would turn it on low heat for a few minutes to preheat the pan a little, then turn up the heat to medium high for a few minutes to get the skillet good and hot for a nice sear. On an appropriately sized burner, will the skillet warp being heated up like this?

Thanks!

Adam

It shouldn't. I won't say it won't, but it shouldn't. I do it the same way and haven't had anything warp yet.

Some skillets exhibit a slight warp that comes and goes when hot and cold. You may want to check yours for that. The best way to avoid warping damage is to always do your preheating in the oven. Then bring it out on to as hot a burner as you want.

Adam, I preheat my skillets like you do. When the handle is getting hot i turn up the heat. At that point the skillet is about 250°. With even heating I’m under the impression cast iron won’t warp under 1,000° F unless it has an issue. If it gets red hot on its way to 2,000° that is trouble time,

Normal searing is done with a skillet that is 450° to 550° and that is smokin’. This should not pose a problem for good CI.

Hilditch

When the question is about older, thinner, vintage CI, the conventional wisdom is to err on the side of caution and to only recommend practices that virtually guarantee freedom from damage. Modern Lodge is one thing; turn of the century Erie, Wagner, Favorite, etc. are another animal altogether. The latter the collector doesn't want to play fast and loose with if the decision is made to use them. I have a Griswold #8 LBL skillet I use regularly. It belonged to my grandmother. I'm certain she didn't heat it up to 2000 or even 1000 degrees, but it is warped nonetheless. If there is anything good about that, it's that it is an upwards bow so the pan can still sit without rocking on a flat surface. Since the bulk of what I do with it involves high heat searing and oven finishing, the oven use is already part of the equation, so pre-heating the skillet in it involves no more trouble nor expense.

Please note that I did not criticize oven preheating. I explained what has worked for me with turn of the century hollowware, and earlier with out any warpage or breakage. NOT just modern day Lodge, but it works with that too. I always cringe a second when I turn on a burner to simmer for a preheat for fear of the shock factor, but never had a problem. It may not be THE safest way to preheat but is best for me. Hopefully that is OK.

Hilditch

PS: 95% of my stovetop cooking is not finished off in the oven.

Last edited:
Back