Sticky Spot

Adam_R.

Hello,

I went to season the Piqua I found this weekend. When I pulled out of the oven I noticed 3 little sticky spots. I think the seasoning was in a small pit that seeped out under high heat. The pan looks beautiful after the first coat except these 3 little spots.

Any advice how to get rid of them without stripping the entire pan and starting over?

Thanks,

Adam

How did you clean it in the first place?

Hi Doug,

The guy I bought this from ran it through a self clean over to get the gunk off. It was extremely clean when I bought it with minor surface rust since he only oils them without seasoning for storage. I scrubbed it up with some fine steel wool and dawn then seasoned with Crisbee.

-Adam

This problem is the reason for that part in the seasoning article about taking the pan back out after 15 minutes and wiping it again. If you had a lye bath (which it doesn't sound like you do), it would be a simple matter of putting in back in it for about 15 minutes, rinsing and drying, then seasoning again. You could try to minimize the sticky spots with your steel wool. If you're going to use the pan, they will go away/blend in with time, but you'd just have to deal with them until they do.

http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

I actually did do the second wipe down, which is why I thought excess oil might be hiding in a pit around where the sticky spot occurred.

Funny enough, I started a lye bath yesterday in my basement. I bought a Griswold along with the Piqua. The guy I bought it from didn't have a chance to run it through the self cleaning oven yet. It's the most gunked up pan I have encountered and the oven cleaner wasn't cutting it so I set up a lye bath.

If I throw the Piqua in the Lye Bath for 15 minutes, will that strip all of the seasoning in that amount of time? I don't really care if it does as I don't mind seasoning pans.

It will be a pan that I plan on using. The largest spot is on the cooking surface. I didn't know if it would go away over time or just become a larger spot.

Thanks for all of the help.

Adam

Careful on the heat that a self cleaning oven will generate. It's high and heated too quickly or cooled too quickly can result in a problem.

Also. My oven has seen the repair man three times to replace the "mother board". It runs on the expensive side to say the least. I asked my company why and he said because of the self cleaning feature which gets north of 750. The high heat gets to the wiring and therefore new mother board time. He said he recommends not to use self cleaning in any oven because of this problem.

Gone back to spray for oven cleaning and all good for several years.

You are turning the pan upside down after the wipe down with a cloth towel and returning to oven per this sites info?

Ive heard this from many people. Ive never used the self clean feature on any of my ovens in my life because of it

Careful on the heat that a self cleaning oven will generate. It's high and heated too quickly or cooled too quickly can result in a problem.

Also. My oven has seen the repair man three times to replace the "mother board". It runs on the expensive side to say the least. I asked my company why and he said because of the self cleaning feature which gets north of 750. The high heat gets to the wiring and therefore new mother board time. He said he recommends not to use self cleaning in any oven because of this problem.

Gone back to spray for oven cleaning and all good for several years.

You are turning the pan upside down after the wipe down with a cloth towel and returning to oven per this sites info?

Yeah I am. I wonder if its the Crisbee that I'm using. I've noticed it to be a little sticky in the past if applied a touch to heavy. I did however apply a very light coat this time. I'm thinking a little extra got hung up in the pit in the metal an didn't come out until after I wiped it a second time. I'll have to strip it down and try again.

This idea of turning the pan upside down really isn't necessary. If you have enough oil left on the pan that it could actually drip off, then you've used way too much.

After oiling, wipe the pan down with a clean cloth like you're trying to wipe it completely dry. You won't be able to, but wipe aggressively. Then, after it's been in the oven 15 minutes, take it out and wipe it aggressively again with a clean cloth. This will give you the thinnest possible layer, which is exactly what you want.

And make sure you use a cloth, not a paper towel. Even a perfectly fresh paper towel won't dig in and truly get at all the excess oil anywhere near as well as an old 100% cotton white T-shirt. The difference literally looks like a wet vs dry skillet.

Back