Bad Cast or Fake you decide.

So I won an auction on ebay and was super exited to get a Griswold #5 Slant logo block Erie with rib pan. After inspecting it closer I noticed some very poor casting as well as a nice little crack. ;( Well I'll see if I can get my money back but I doubt it. Let me know what you guys think. .

Some thoughts: I've never seen a Griswold recast that didn't have a gatemark or some other obvious alteration. If it is a recast, the maker knew something about modern casting technology. Flaws aside, it appears to be a smooth, machine-finished casting otherwise. I'd say it's a piece that shouldn't have made it past quality control, but did. If I had asked in advance if it was cracked and was told it wasn't, I'd want a refund.

I have had and seen a number of Griswold and other quality makes of iron that had various small flaws. Today's Lodge, for instance, blows Griswold out of the water when it comes to quality control and uniform castings. It's unfortunate then that the "flawed" Griswold is so much more appealing than newer Lodge. Your skillet does have more than its share of flaws I would say. I hope you are able to get your money back or a partial refund. Always a good idea to ask if a piece has any cracks, warps, etc. before bidding to protect you and allow you to claim a refund.

Makes sense. Lesson learned. However if I were to list something a "good condition" that wouldn't include cracks.

I tried to get the guy to take it back, even offered to pay for shipping. When I sent him pictures he replied "that doesn't look like the skillet I sent you".

Other than that the pan cleaned up better than any other so far. I mean this thing look like its never been used, quite nice actually.

Did you keep the photos from the ebay auction? Have you made a claim with ebay and/or your credit card if you paid PP with a credit card? Both have protection for items delivered not as described. "Good cond." would not include a cracked piece. The casting flaws are just there any to be expected on many pieces of iron cookware. It's not jewelry but would be nice if they were cast with the same care.

Have bought a lot of cast iron off ebay. Whenever an item does not live up to it's description I return it.
If a skillet is listed as a skillet, it should perform all functions expected from a skillet. That includes safe usage.....a crack can, at any time cause the skillet to break and spill it's contents. Failure to mention a bad wobble (bow) can cause the skillet to fall off the burner.
In almost all cases the seller will accept a return and refund purchase and original shipping cost. The seller has to pay for return. Some sellers will pay for return. Some sellers get nasty and hold you to the ebay policy that buyer pays return shipping.....those I ding in feedback.
For the very few who refuse to accept a return, I file a case with ebay resolution. I have yet to lose a resolution casewhen the seller failed to disclose something significant about the skillet.

Before a back problem made it impossible, I sold over 6,000 items on eBay with zero negative feedbacks and only two returns. I sent every buyer a Terms of Sale statement that let them know that if they weren't satisfied, no reason required, I would refund all their money including all the postage costs.
If the seller isn't willing to do that then don't buy from them. People selling quality merchandise will stand behind it. People selling crap hide behind excuses.

There are good sellers out there and it makes sense to spend as much time checking the seller out as you spend checking out the item you are bidding on.

Yours, Blake

Back