Introduction

Guion Leach

Please forgive me. I do not even know how to sign in, just guessing and just joined the best I could figure out. Don't know how to go to introduction either.
But I need help with a pan NOW concerning black rust and whether I should go ahead and do the initial seasoning or do something so I don't keep getting black stuff as I wipe on the lard for the oven. Each time I do, I keep getting black sludge.
I already baked off the crud, and scrubbed it with 50% white vinegar and 50% water. No red rust, just this black stuff particularly around the upper inside rim.
Planning on setting up electrolysis tub. Should I do that first? Strip off the lard layer I just put on? Am I not through cleaning it yet? Inside is very smooth except on little place which will fill in with seasoning. Help! I know just enough to be dangerous. This is a size 9 small logo Griswold.
I don't know how to put up pictures either. According to my college-aged son I am a technological dinosaur, probably why I can't figure out how to sign in here or post, just hoping however I got here, it will catch someone's eye and merciful heart to help me!

You will from time to time get a black or brown residue that comes off what appears to be clean pan. If you feel by visual inspection you have done all that can be done with vinegar, lye, electrolysis, or a self-cleaning oven to remove crud and/or rust, this residual should not be of concern. You're actually removing most of it by wiping the initial seasoning on and off. You can often minimize it by washing the cleaned piece with Dawn dishwashing liquid and rinsing thoroughly before proceeding with the seasoning.

Thank you so much. It is pretty much a dull pale iron gray, with just some darker areas. I heard some of that is just natural age coloring. I have continued today to take a paper towel with just a smidge of lard and rub hard on the darker areas. More black stuff came off on the paper towel, but less and less as I go. And it is getting more and more smooth on the sides, hardly any coming off on the cooking surface now. Is it okay to bake it for the first time to begin to season it? Or should I wait until I can get the electrolysis tub going? If I do wait, to electrolysis, would I have to bake it to take off the seasoning I have rubbed into it first? Can't thank you enough for replying. Gotta do something with this before I go to bed tonight, unless you suggest I wait for electrolysis.

Electrolysis will take off everything-- rust, crud, seasoning. Without being able to see what it is you're dealing with, it's hard to say if you need to proceed further with cleaning measures or if you're just seeing the normal residue I spoke of. If you're rubbing what appears to be bare metal and getting a black residue, I'd say it's just a form of iron oxide, like a black rust, and not a problem. Try that Dawn if you have some.

Thanks again. I've been working with it all afternoon. For the most part the black is gone and it is almost an even bare metal gray. I am so proud of it! I will try the Dawn. Then rub it for the initial baking.

I am soooo grateful for finding this site. and thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It is not creating more rust as it sits, (rubbed in so much lard by fingertip rubbing) so I can sleep without worrying about it.:p

Back