Hamburgers in Cast Iron

Does anyone have a way of cooking burgers in a cast iron skillet without them sticking so bad you take off the seasoning to clean them?

Leaving meat undisturbed until it releases on its own before flipping helps. If some does stick, going at it with a scrubber or spatula straight away is not always the best first course of action. Usually, simmering 1/2" of water for a minute will soften whatever's stuck enough that it just wipes off or will come off with a wooden or plastic spatula.

At the store by the Lodge CI there are plastic scrapers. I scrape after letting the CI cool a bit so my fingers don't cook.

Last weekend my daughter made me fajitas in her #10 BSR. The resulting crud was pretty bad. She let the skillet cool, ran it under warm water and went at it pretty aggressively with a lodge scraper. She removed the crud and the seasoning was not affected at all.

Does anyone have a way of cooking burgers in a cast iron skillet without them sticking so bad you take off the seasoning to clean them?

I think the first sentence of Doug's reply has been the most important answer you've gotten so I'll just expand on it a little. Using a skillet that's been preheated over medium high heat, place your burgers in the skillet. Leave them alone! Don't move them around. Don't squish them with your spatula. (Why people feel the necessity to squish the juices out of burgers and turn them into dried out hockey pucks is beyond me.) Depending on your liking of doneness and thickness of the burgers, flip once after 4 to 5 minutes. After another 4-5 minutes they're done. You'll experience a lot less sticking and clean up will be relatively easy. Certainly you shouldn't have to scrub or scrape so much that you remove seasoning.

I just got done cooking burgers in a Lodge grill skillet (probably not what its offically called) and had no sticking. I pre oiled the skillet and put the meat in it when it was on medium high heat and pre heated well. Meat went to sizzling and they released on their own after 5 minutes. Flipped and repeated. Cooked to perfection and clean up was a breeze with hot water and a soft bristle brush. Couldve used a wash rag but i was lazy amd wanted to save the 30 seconds so I could get to the couch sooner!

Back