The best buffalo

DonnaM

If y'all are interested in buffalo, I can heartily recommend Wild Idea Buffalo in S. Dakota. Their buffalo is range raised, slaughtered and dressed in the field. No added anything. Pricey but healthy and tasty. Check them out online. :glutton:

I would be interested, I eat a lot of venison that I hunt because it's leaner and healthier, buffalo falls into the same

Donna, I would interested in a buffalo recipe. The only buffalo I've ever had was at the Ted's Montana Grill near my house.

I haven't cooked it in a while but I did a number of buffalo steaks once upon a time. I remember it being, compared to beef, very savory but very lean. So you have to be careful not to overcook it or it will "dry out" easily. Venison may taste different but is also very lean so perhaps if you've cooked that before, the same methods would apply to buffalo.

Well, you can use it the same way you use beef. I like to make a pot roast in a DO and slow-cook it with onions, potatoes, carrots, several garlic cloves, a couple of bay leaves, a sprinkling of thyme if you like.... You can also sprinkle in a packet of onion soup and add water to make a tasty gravy (which you can thicken after you remove the meat and vegetables)....

And I've used the stew meat to make a brown stew or soup--onions, garlic, celery root, Anaheim peppers, kale, potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga...whatever I have--it's never the same....

I've also ordered the ground buffalo, which makes good hamburgers, meat loaf, or chili.

I'm not much of a recipe cook--mostly an intuitive cook, I'm afraid.

And, yes, don't over-cook the buffalo; it's very lean.

Well, you can use it the same way you use beef. I like to make a pot roast in a DO and slow-cook it with onions, potatoes, carrots, several garlic cloves, a couple of bay leaves, a sprinkling of thyme if you like.... You can also sprinkle in a packet of onion soup and add water to make a tasty gravy (which you can thicken after you remove the meat and vegetables)....

And I've used the stew meat to make a brown stew or soup--onions, garlic, celery root, Anaheim peppers, kale, potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga...whatever I have--it's never the same....

I've also ordered the ground buffalo, which makes good hamburgers, meat loaf, or chili.

I'm not much of a recipe cook--mostly an intuitive cook, I'm afraid.

And, yes, don't over-cook the buffalo; it's very lean.

Baking is a science and requires recipes (formulas).
Cooking is an art, which requires tasting and adjusting, and tasting and adjusting.

Back