Healthy Oils

TSanner

Hi what are some healthier options than butter for cooking with cast iron? Like for eggs, grilled cheese, and greasing the skillet for cornbread. I love cooking with it but feel unhealthy with the gobs of butter I use. Which oils won't burn as easily? I searched but seems like the only oils discussed at which to season with.

Thanks for the advice!!
TJ

Opinions on healthy cooking oil seem to be all over the board, but I'm a kind of "all things in moderation" guy. The oil I normally use is canola, but if a recipe calls for olive oil or butter, then that's what I use. When frying eggs, I use the grease from the bacon or sausage I've cooked. If I haven't fried bacon or sausage, I use canola. If making cornbread, I use canola, but will use bacon grease if I have it. (I don't save my bacon grease, but probably should.) For making something like grilled cheese, I use butter. I've never bought lard in my life (I'm nearly 62 and lived in the south my entire life except for 6 years in the Navy) and the only thing I use Crisco for is the initial seasoning of my CI. The one thing I will not use and haven't bought in at least 20 years is margarine.

Funny I should see your post now, I'm sitting in the doctor's office and he just told me I am diabetic. So I think I need to start cooking healthier. I thought Crisco vegetable oil is healthy, maybe I should look more into it.

I don't have any experience cooking with it, but coconut oil is supposed to be a healthier alternative to traditional oils.

The Doctor told me years ago that moderation, was the way to go.

Bacon grease, olive oil, homemade butter, coconut oil, canola not often.

moderation, keeps the Doctor Happy, and me off the pills.:icon_thumbsup:

Ghee is perfect for cooking. Also Coconut Oil, but sometimes a bit overpowering. Olive Oil is a good choice. Canola Oil is most always GMO -stay away.
Of course Crisco is NO GOOD (except to season cast iron!)

Back