Restoring/Cleaning Griswold stoves

Pat H

I recently acquired several Griswold Hot Plates/one of these is the elevated hot plate. Need some help in restoration/cleaning. Do I take the stove apart and put in the lye or molasses (depending on condition) Also, on the elevated stove, the body/legs are metal - do I have them sandblasted and repaint them? with what? I want to keep them as original as possible.

Most use electrolysis on these b/c it's mainly rust and remaining paint that are the issue. You want to disassemble all parts for ease of cleaning and because, typically, various parts are painted different colors. The nicest ones I have seen used a high-temp gloss or semi-gloss black on the grate and feet, a matte silver or aluminum color engine paint on the burner body, and a clear lacquer on the outer parts of the gas valve and air vent. On the elevated model legs, probably a paint stripper and a regular black semi-gloss enamel should do.

I just restored one and used a 1500 degree semigloss paint after electrolysis. Several coats are better than one and dont spray too close or it will look blotchy. Take extra care with the screws because they strip and break easy and are difficult to find a match.

Back