About Ghost letters

Guion Leach

As I remember it, a "ghost mark" is an indication that a piece was cast in a mold of another piece by another foundry. I recently bought a flat round griddle. The ad claimed it was a Griswold diamond Erie. One of the pictures was only revealing the inset heat ring showing the diamond Erie. The other picture of the back was at such an angle (I assume purposefully) that the ghost final E of ERIE could not be seen for the black angle. When I got the griddle, I immediately saw the ghost and also a sllght ghost of a pattern number. Additionally, the iron on the bottom has areas thicker than others, giving it a rolling appearance, although it does sit flat and does not spin. It does have an ever so slight wobble, but not that would interfere with use. I contacted the seller that I wanted to return it as I do not believe it is an authentic Griswold as advertised. Am I correct in my assumption and seek assistance from ebay, or am I incorrect. I did ask the seller before buying about cracks and sitting flat. Unfortunately I did not even think to ask about ghost marks. Please advise as quickly as possible. If I am incorrect about the ghosts, I may just have to keep it and not try to seek a refund.:icon_scratchchin:

A ghost mark is an indication that the pattern used to make a piece had markings which were filled in, and the fill material subsequently eroded, allowing the old markings to become somewhat visible on pieces subsequently cast. This could have been done by the original manufacturer to update a pattern or by another foundry using a competitor's pans as the basis for their patterns. When all the markings, ghost and otherwise, are of the same maker, it is an indication of the former. So, I would say your piece is quite likely authentic Griswold, just one with an interesting history.

Thank you. Which would be older in dating then, a diamond Erie or the ERIE in an arc across the top. The E ghost would have been the final E of Erie. The pattern number in the ghosting below the diamond Erie is 739 which is the same number more clearly imprinted above the inner heat ring. The diamond has the words Extra then what I can make out looks like F I then a backwards K, an 8 and then HED WARE. The finish on the top does not seem to be the same smooth quality as most Griswolds. Unfortunately there appears to ?be a lot of pitting. Do you think that will fill in with a lot of seasoning? Any more information you might have? If I really is a Griswold, then I have no basis for returning it. Thank you for getting back so quickly.

Back