• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Sourdough Aebleskiver Recipe

VickiB

Hello All,

I recently discovered a wonderful sourdough aebleskiver recipe that I thought I'd pass along. I found it in a blog written by a Dane named Sune Trudslev. He calls himself the Food Geek and his blog can be found at https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-aebleskiver-recipe/ He also has a video that gives step-by-step instructions on exactly what to do to make aebleskiver. My first try at making them took place this morning, and they came out perfect!

So here's the recipe. He says it makes 40 aebleskiver but I cut the recipe in half and got only 14, which is actually perfect for just two people.

12 hours prior to cooking, mix together:

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Let this sit for 5 minutes. Then add to it:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sourdough starter (250 grams)
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix really well. Loosely cover the mixture and let it sit for 12 hours at room temperature.

The next day, make the batter. Mix together:

2 lightly beaten eggs
4 tablespoons of barely melted butter (not hot)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cardamom

Combine this with the sourdough starter mixture and blend really well. Heat your aebleskiver pan on medium heat, giving the pan at least 15 minutes to heat up. Butter each hole with a basting brush. Add batter to each cup up to 1/8 inch below rim of cup. After about a minute, use a metal knitting needle or a skewer and turn each aebleskive 1/4 of a turn. Add more batter and then flip the aebleskive completely over, 180 degrees. Cook about another 2 or 3 minutes. Serve with a jam, jelly, or applesauce, and some confectioner's sugar.

One hint I can offer - when you poke your skewer into the cup to turn the aebleskive the first time, be sure to reach all the way to the bottom of the cup and gently "scrape" the bottom as you rotate the ball upward. You're not really applying metal to metal, but do apply enough pressure to feel the bottom of the cup as you rotate.

Again, if you've never made aebleskiver, I highly recommend that you watch the video mentioned above. It's at his blog, but also on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU2ebgMUoYU

Enjoy!

Back