Almost had a heart attack

How common is the Griswold #7 Dutch oven? I have seen #6's here on this site from the members, but I don't recall hearing much about the #7.

It is unfortunate that it has a crack. It runs from the rim down the side and about an inch into the bottom.

This Dutch oven is fully marked with the patent date of 1920. What year range was this made? The slant logo for skillets was until 1929, but I would think the Dutch oven logo would have gone longer, especially since is a #7.

Also, the bail handle broke on me at the bend. Would doing a spot and on the bail keep it strong enough?

I personally wouldn’t trust a spot weld on the bail. If it broke while in use it could be dangerous. I would take pictures of it and fabricate a new one, or purchase a new one from Lodge for a number 8 (unless they make one for a #7) and modify it to fit your #7. Sorry I can’t help you with the dates.

I'm about to season this piece. Do I need to something different since I know that it's cracked? I don't want to crack it further or worse, in half.

The crack is through this piece and all the way down and about inch into the bottom.

Season with mineral oil and put on display? Wouldn't suggest putting it to regular use. If you want to use it for baking, season with canola at 350 for an hour. I'd still argue against. Repeated heat cycling may worsen the crack and eventually it may crack up entirely.

Back