Some questions about seasoning

DomenicoB

Hello!
I've some questions about the cast iron seasoning.

Using high temperature helps polymerization. But it makes a better polymerization also creating a layer harder. Is it correct?

Is it necessary or not exceed the smoke point during seasonig? Why?

After seasonig, cooking with temperatures above the smoke point seasonig oil causes problems? I think not, but why?

The polymerization stops rancidity?

Why apply oil with hot cast iron? Why not apply oil with cold cast iron and bake after?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the seasoning article doesn't specifically address some of the questions. The average collector isn't usually concerned with the "science" aspects of the process, but only in not doing something counterproductive.

Hello!
I've some questions about the cast iron seasoning.

Using high temperature helps polymerization. But it makes a better polymerization also creating a layer harder. Is it correct?

Yes I would say that is generally the case.

Is it necessary or not exceed the smoke point during seasonig? Why?

I would say it is not required although some sources seem to think so. It helps darken the seasoning, though, so many do it.

After seasonig, cooking with temperatures above the smoke point seasonig oil causes problems? I think not, but why?

Exceeding the smoke point in cooking is not recommended for reasons of health and flavor.

To a degree, yes if the seasoning is well polymerized, but not always totally.

Why apply oil with hot cast iron? Why not apply oil with cold cast iron and bake after?

It is important to have the iron as dry as possible before applying the oil, so heating it does that. (It does not "open the pores.") The hot iron also starts the heat drying and polymerization process on that first thin layer right away.

Thanks

Exceeding the smoke point in cooking is not recommended for reasons of health and flavor.

I know, but if I preheating a cast iron grill on a barbecue to cook a steak and I go through the smoke point seasoning oil, what happens?

To a degree, yes if the seasoning is well polymerized, but not always totally.

in terms of cooking and health , what does have some area with rancid oil and how to solve the problem ?

Top question: It turns/burns to carbon. Don't worry about it.

Bottom question: Rancid oil is oil with too many impurities that have not been cooked out, sat a long time in the right conditions and is really rather rare. Cook with it or give it an hour in the oven at 450° and carry on.

Hilditch

Cooking over high heat on a barbecue grill means you already accept that you are going to be possibly creating and consuming carcinogenic substances, so the oiling of the grill shouldn't be really any different.

The context being seasoning oil rancidity, cooking oil that has never been cooked with can go rancid. Fats in the oil oxidize, bacteria or mold grow; impurities or residual cooked food not required. And while using rancid oil might not necessarily hurt you, why would you want to if you didn't have to?

The context being seasoning oil rancidity, cooking oil that has never been cooked with can go rancid. Fats in the oil oxidize, bacteria or mold grow; impurities or residual cooked food not required. And while using rancid oil might not necessarily hurt you, why would you want to if you didn't have to?

And now you know why I don't put a coating of oil on my CI after cleaning.

Hilditch

In regards to the last question, I've had good luck not coating a hot or warm piece. There's no denying that it must be dry. I take the piece and heat it on the stove top, but I then let it cool. It is dry, and being cool, it's easier to handle. This makes it easier to get in to the nooks and crannies on the first coat.

Cooking over high heat on a barbecue grill means you already accept that you are going to be possibly creating and consuming carcinogenic substances, so the oiling of the grill shouldn't be really any different.

Driving car means I already accept that I'm going to be possibly having a accident, but not for this I encrease possibilities driving against traffic :D

And now you know why I don't put a coating of oil on my CI after cleaning.

Actually, if seasonig is in good condition I think that anathor coating of oil is not necessary.

In regards to the last question, I've had good luck not coating a hot or warm piece. There's no denying that it must be dry. I take the piece and heat it on the stove top, but I then let it cool. It is dry, and being cool, it's easier to handle. This makes it easier to get in to the nooks and crannies on the first coat.

Probably this is the best solution for a grill with nooks and crannies. The pan has a regular surface, it's easier.

When using a BBQ grill don't waste your time oiling the grate to have it burn off. Oil what you are putting on the grill. It works more better.

Hilditch

This sits outside, uncovered, and not protected from the weather in any way. It is not enameled and has never been seasoned. Just cooked steaks on it two nights ago. No rust. I think folks get over zealous in thinking anything made from cast iron needs to be seasoned.

IMG_1859_zpsdxomxf0x.jpg

THIS... IS... MAGIC!!! :grin:

And now... I'm so confused...

Seasoning or not seasoning, this is the question :icon_scratchchin:

There's not much point in manually seasoning a barbecue grill grate. Oiling it before cooking is probably more about cleaning off residue that preheating it has burned or rust than lubricating it. I also put some oil on the meat. If a cast iron grate left out in the elements doesn't rust, there has to be something on it between the iron and the air, intentional or not.

Correct me if I am wrong but seasoning a bbq grate is pointless. The heat from the bbq would only burn it off so building seasoning on a grate is not possible.

Barbecue grates have a tendency to protect themselves with carbon and rust. I remove chunks of food like fish skin with a wire brush with no further cleaning. The oils from cooking, read seasoning, burn to carbon and bare spots rust to protect the metal. Carbon from the fire coats all. Neither carbon or iron oxide will hurt you. Both keep oxygen away from the metal just like seasoning does and make your food look pretty. Not to worry.

Hilditch

Back