Lodge Griddle

Stan D

First, I'll just say it's good to make friends. I go in to one of the thrift stores I frequent, and "Mike" says "I have something for you", knowing my interests. He trots out this griddle, and says, "It's yours for free"! It's probably the roughest piece I've taken on. I've certainly turned my nose up at worse in other places. But FREE.

24285620839_f189930aa6_z.jpg

24627143126_5431a56147_z.jpg

Markings on both sides "Lodge" and "1896 USA", (on the tabs on opposite corners) and "Patent Pending" between a couple ribs on the ribbed side. It is not a current model. I'm guessing the "USA" puts it after 1960. Any thoughts on what or when?

I will have to thaw my electrolysis tank before I can de-rust it. It looks good, otherwise. Flat, no apparent cracks, and no serious pitting. It'll come in real handy on Memorial Day camping trip.

Did I mention that it was FREE?

Not knowing much about Lodge, I was hoping that might be a model number, but when I got to the Lodge website, It mentioned straight off that they've been around since 1896. Maybe it's like Wagner's 1891 series, meant as a commemoration to it's history.

We were in Oklahoma City on a trip in the summer of 2004. We were puttsing around and came across one of these griddles in a kitchen supply store. They had a full stock of new Lodge stuff . This was the first time I had ever seen this griddle so we bought two. One for the house and one for our camper. They were factory new and about $20.00 each. So they are modern Lodge and we have found them to be extremely fine users. David

That is all I am hoping for, a good user. I just like to know about stuff. I think as I get older, it seems to be more important to me than before. It doesn't have to be old to be cool, as in this piece. Thanks.

The rust doesn't look that bad. Have you considered de-rusting with vinegar and water instead of electrolysis?

No vinegar on hand. And the pic makes it look better than it is. I'll get the E tank inside tomorrow and let it thaw. It'll have to go back out to use it, but I have an idea to keep it from freezing again. And I'd bet just the act of using it may keep it from freezing again.

I've run my my rubbermaid e-tank overnight with temperatures in the low-mid 20's without any ice forming but I started out with 15 gallons of 120 degree water.

What an ordeal! But I overcame them all.

I use a 5 gallon bucket for my e tank I've only done smaller pieces of CI in it so far, so I didn't think about it until I got ready to put the piece in. Of course it didn't fit. So, I found a trash can big enough that looked okay. I've almost got the piece covered when I see a small crack in my trash can, leaking what is the last of my soda. I scramble to get the fluid into something that doesn't leak. Not much luck there, so I line the leaking can with two trash bags. It's going good so far.

All of this was proceeded by shoveling out to the shed. I feel weird shoveling over the lawn. The bucket was somewhat thawed, so that wasn't too bad. I got the anode cleaned up on a wire wheel.

I'll be posting "after" pics soon. It just came out of it's 2nd of 3 coats of seasoning. It's looking pretty good.

And here we go. First up, here it is stripped;

24719471872_f5339f1705_z.jpg

Cleaned up well. And here's it done;

24541829200_321c1b6cf8_z.jpg

24719471192_a39b47b7ef_z.jpg

I can hardly wait to use it!

Thanks for lookin'.

Back