Glass Lid

There were C-5, C-6, C-8, and C-10. 8", 9", 10½", and 11¾", respectively.

Heatproof "C-Thru" Self-Basting Covers
C-5: #1055 or any 8" utensil
C-6: #1056 or any 9" utensil
C-8: #1058, #1088, #1268 or any 10" to 10½" utensil
C-10: #1060

A few years ago when I became interested in cast iron, I pulled out my mother's old skillets. One of them was a Wagner Ware deep skillet or chicken fryer which I remembered was used to fry chicken for the family. I also remembered that when my mother broke the glass lid she was visibly upset about it. She passed away 12 years ago at the age of 93, but I decided that I should replace that lid. I determined that it needed a C-8 lid and I purchased one on ebay for around $25 including shipping. In the past few years I have purchased three more as bargains. First I found one at a rummage sale on a worn out crock pot with a 50 cent price tag so I left the crock pot and got the lid. Later I found one at a garage sale on light weight aluminum skillet marked $1.00. I told the lady I only wanted the lid and give her the dollar. Finally earlier this month I found a nice older Rival crock pot with a C-8 lid and gladly gave the seller the $5.00 it was priced. So, I now have four C-8 lids - one for the Wagner Chicken Fryer, two for my crock pots, and a spare in case I ever need it. These are great heavy lids and the basting ring inside works very well.
fa9e96cd-6c07-4960-851c-7b8b4b8d27cd_zpsmzqhfqqw.jpg

Lids20002_zpsxudfxdp3.jpg

So, a friend got a Wagner 1891 D/O (I know, nothing special) that had a Pyrex glass lid. Having obtained a Wagner Sidney O D/O for myself (w/o a lid), I started looking for one. I came across what looked like an older Pyrex lid, so I started doing a little research, and found this website.

http://www.corellecorner.com/

Using the number on my lid, I found out that it was made somewhere between 1926 & 1932. And my guess is that Wagner might not have made the lids that Doug posted about, but rather they had them made, possibly by Pyrex. But that's just a guess. But I saw lids that looked a lot like those posted above on this site. I haven't looked, but I'll bet those 4 digit numbers Doug posted might be found there.

And FWIW, doing "research" was how I found you guys. Just sayin'.

I haven't looked, but I'll bet those 4 digit numbers Doug posted might be found there.

The 4 digit numbers that Doug posted above are the catalog numbers of the frying pans that Wagner produced. The numbered lids fit that particular pan or size piece. (A 1055 is a #5, a 1056 us a #6, etc) There are odd pieces like lids for the 1088, which is the #8 Chicken Fryer. They made different lids for different styles that won't interchange. I'm still fuzzy in that area as I haven't done any research but was told by Doug.

Back