Fried Chicken in CI.

Does anyone have suggestions for frying chicken in cast iron? I want to learn how my grandmother did it, she is from Kentucky, raised during the depression. Family members tell me to skin it, rinse it in water, salt and pepper, then roll it flour. I know she used lard originally but then went to Crisco. I think they said sear it on medium-high heat turning it to get all sides, then turn heat down to simmer until done. i think she covered it also. does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you want really moist chicken, marinate it in buttermilk for a few hours before you fry it. I fry mine until the outside is nice and crispy and then I drain it and put it in the oven for a little while to continue cooking.

If you can get to youtube.com and search for cast iron fried chicken you can see dozens of videos about how to do this task.

My Grandmother, from Georgia, always said one of the most important tricks to frying chicken is to let it sit for half an hour after you roll it in flour. It gives the breading time to come to proper consistency. That's the only family secret I'm giving away today :)

Thanks everyone for the tips. My wife and daughter are off to Florida this week so it's my son I batchen.:icon_thumbsup: I plan on doing some fried chicken,pork chops, and some bck straps in CI.:glutton:

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

ChaseClayton, my wife started making chicken in a pressure cooker last year, It's good and moist,..but, there's nothing like my Granny's fried chicken and that's what I'm striving for. Awful big word for a carpenter, huh.:icon_rofl:

Thanks everyone for the tips. My wife and daughter are off to Florida this week so it's my son I batchen.:icon_thumbsup: I plan on doing some fried chicken,pork chops, and some bck straps in CI.:glutton:

Sounds like your wife's kitchen is going to be a war zone. Good luck and don't smoke up the place to much.:icon_thumbsup:

Be careful about using a pressure cooker as a pressure fryer. They are two different things. The lid attachment on a pressure fryer is much more secure. Pressure frying in a pressure cooker has been known to blow the lid off with a rather poor outcome.

Back