Cleaning or Replacing Thermometer in Wagner Dutch Oven?

MarkZ

Hi folks,

I've been scratching my head about this one for a while. Bought this beautiful unmarked (Wagner?) hammered dutch oven a while back and have been trying to decide what to do with the crudded-up aluminum thermometer in the lid. Does anyone have a technique for removing it so it could be cleaned, or a suitable replacement if removed?

The thermometer seems to be made of two aluminum parts that screw together so that one flange is on top of the lid and the other below, with the round glass disk sandwiched between. I could try to fill the joint full of penetrating oil and unscrew it, but the aluminum body seems so fragile that I'd likely only destroy it without a good non-marring means of getting hold of it.

Any ideas? I've seen a few of these out there, maybe one of you has come up with a solution.

Mark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcnzcg8r08ipgia/IMG_4064sm.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynyyosi8q06s1lm/IMG_4069sm.jpg?dl=0

Update: I finally did get it apart with persistence and penetrating oil. This is a three-part unit, two above the lid and one below, and they all screw together. Have not removed the dial face and etc. from the top (bezel) part yet but it's all doable. What I'm not sure about now is how to go about restoring the crudded up dial on something that may get to, I dunno, 400 degrees in use. Seems like paint would be about the only option at that temperature. Has no one out there ever attempted to restore a temp gauge like this?

Hello Mark!
I just got a Wagner Ware Dutch oven with temperature gauge too. You say it's a 3 part? Any tips from your own experience at getting it apart? I've never done one and want to clean it. Thank you in advance.

Best to note the dates when responding to search results. The OP only ever posted here twice, both times this thread. Perhaps someone else will see and have the answer.

It took a few days, but I finally got it apart with penetrating oil and gentle persistence -- was afraid I would crush it. Can't say for sure but I think I used hand pressure against the top of the lid and maybe a grippy rubber pad wrapped around the bottom part. Once it finally budged it was no problem.

Don't think I took any photos while it was apart, but I believe the glass window is sandwiched between the two upper parts. The lower part screws over the threaded portion like a cap which helps keep the moisture out.

The face of the dial seems enameled and for as bad as it looked to begin with, it cleaned up beautifully -- like brand new.

After restoring this DO my wife fell in love with it, got on a big sourdough kick and kinda crudded it up with daily baking over some months. I finally replaced her 'user' with an ordinary #8 Lodge, which works just as well. if I were smarter I'd have done this first, as cleaning this sucker with the aluminum thermometer in the lid means the lye tank is right out. So it's not as sparkling as it was when I finished it, but it's still my single favorite piece of CI.

Good luck, hope it works out as well for you as it did for me!

Back