2 Antique store finds and a 2 questions

Took a trip today to look at some CI. First stop estate sale. Nothing.
Next was an antique shop.... had a #12 SK marked USA with a lot of wobble and a BSR Century #8 marked USA with a little wobble. $10 each, i passed.

2 questions are should i have got these anyway? Is the 12 a scarce piece? I would think not seeing they are post 1960

On the way home i saw an antique store and got these 2 pieces for $28.

#2 Wapak Scotch bowl... slight wobble, both bails and attachments are intact. It does not seem to be cracked or pitted

#11 gem pan. As far as i can tell it has no marks sans "No. 11"
This pan is like 99% flat. It has such miniscule movement, you can hear it but you cant feel it.

My first Wapak
First Scotch Bowl
First gem pan

Last edited:
Scott, I don't think of myself as a "collector." I'm more of an "accumulator." If I see something and I want it...then I get it! No matter the price, or if it wobbles, or if it's potted, or if it's a recent piece. My "accumulation" may never be worth a hill of beans to anybody but me but, I wanted them and they make me happy and that's all that matters! I have users that wobble, and are pitted, and are quite new. Once cleaned up they are valuable to me. I guess what I'm trying to say is...if you want it..get it!

$2, $5, $20, $100 - who cares? With the exception of spinners and pits which irritate me, I’m with Derek. If you will be happy with the piece at whatever price it is, buy it. Wether I, or anybody else on this site, think it’s a great price or too much does not matter Scott. Nor does the value of your cast iron estate when you die. If you will get the satisfaction of ownership for the price, that’s all that counts.

Hilditch

Thank for the opinions. I realize CI is subjective, That's why i left them. I would like a #12 for a user, but ill wait for an older one.

I was just curious if the size was anything special. I have noticed some skillets #12 and larger command a nice price.

Thanks Bonnie these pieces will clean up real nice. I really like how a Scotch Bowl displays itself. The tilt ring does it for me, it looks great sitting there all shiny with a black background

edit: now im thinking of going back for the #12

Thank for the opinions. I realize CI is subjective, That's why i left them. I would like a #12 for a user, but ill wait for an older one.

I was just curious if the size was anything special. I have noticed some skillets #12 and larger command a nice price.

Thanks Bonnie these pieces will clean up real nice. I really like how a Scotch Bowl displays itself. The tilt ring does it for me, it looks great sitting there all shiny with a black background

edit: now im thinking of going back for the #12

Your scotch bowl & gem pan should clean up nicely, As for the #12 SK w/ wobble....I would pass on it especially if you have a glass top kitchen stove. It will not only wobble but you will have a spin issue and spend most of your time holding it with one hand trying to chase down your dish you're making with the other hand. I've seen some nice older "collectable" pieces posted here from the Maine area so don't rush it and get yourself a better piece.

Here they are out of the e-tank

#11 unmarked Griswold gem pan.. perfectly flat, excellent condition

#2 Wapak Scotch Bowl slight rock no pitting excellent cook surface. great condition the bail and assist ring and attachments are intact

Back