The Strange Case of 2 1/2 Dutch Ovens

I got a dutch oven at a yard sale last week. Smooth lid, hammered bottom. #8. I liked the pretty bottom as a serving piece. The arc logo on the lid says Lodge. There are some mystery marks on the inside. I gather the lid dates to the 20'-30's.

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/8 lid top.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/10 one quarter lid inside.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/8 and quarter lid detail.jpg

I consulted lodge on the hammered bottom and they knew nothing. Everything hammered I have seen is hammered all over. Flat and cleaned up OK.

I noted the wire bail only has a stop on one side. The assist handle is small and has a rib on the underside. There is a small number 8 on the bottom with a dot and it is 90 degrees from the bail pivots.

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/hammered inside.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/hammered side.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/hammered bottom.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/hammered eight detail.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/hammered side handle rib.jpg

So today I went back to the yard sale and the nice lady had another bottom. Smooth outside, ground inside, spinner, spinner chicken dinner. Clean. It'll do. But some differences, Still a #8 and 10 1/4" across the rim, Large number eight on the bottom aligned with the bail pivot, dual bail stops, larger lifting handle with the letter L instead of a rib.

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/smooth eight inside.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/smooth eight bottom.jpg

www.eskimo.com/~newowl/cast iron number 8/smooth eight under tab.jpg

So what goes with what? I have a modern lodge 10 1/4" skillet and lid and that lid interchanges with the DO lid and pots.

It seems the webserver is erroring out and the later pics not showing up. If someone really wants to see them I'll do a string of posts here and upload them to the forum.

Linking photos in a forum post will far less troublesome if the remote URL contains no spaces, in either the folder or file names. Please confirm the image files returning the 404 Not Found error actually exist on the server. The hammered unmarked pot is a Wagner.

Thanks Doug. What is the clue the pot is a Wagner?

I renamed all files and folders on the server. Is there any way I can edit my original post here? Not that it is such a great post but for lurkers and those that follow. The pics will be around a few years.

Recognizing Wagner's finger grip assist handle, bail attachment shape, the hammering style, and the 8 on the bottom.

Editing is time limited. You can repost as a reply to this thread and I will replace post #1 with it.

I am still struggling with the pictures. So I will just do a string of posts with them if any one (now or in the future) is still following. I did hear back from Lodge:

"Hello John,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We never kept up with paperwork on old items. Below is a link that should be able to assist you.

https://www.castironcollector.com/

Reba"

Attachments

• hammered side.jpg
    hammered side.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
  • hammered inside.jpg
    hammered inside.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
  • hammered bottom.jpg
    hammered bottom.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 12
omitting the arc logo lid and the smooth bottom supplying the other bail flange. The helper handle with the rib is on the hammered bottom. The larger lifting handle is on the hammered bottom. I am still perplexed because the hammered one is the only pot I have seen with a bail stop on only one side.

Attachments

• hammered side handle rib.jpg
    hammered side handle rib.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7
  • pot flanges.jpg
    pot flanges.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 9
Back