ID Help for You Experts

John Ziebart

I've been Looking for a #8 to cook with and I Picked this up at the flea market today
Any ideas on the make or year?
* No Marking on the bottom except for what looks like a 1 and a fraction?
* Big #8 and what seems like a smallish handle,nothing fancy
* No "Made in USA" anywhere on the bottom
Sits absolutely flat on glass and has a crisp ring to it when tapped,figured you Gurus could come up with your expertise on maker and year
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05152.jpg
    DSC05152.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC05147.jpg
    DSC05147.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC05150.jpg
    DSC05150.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 33
More pics of handle and number 1 with something after it

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
  • number fraction.jpg
    number fraction.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
  • handle close.jpg
    handle close.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 28
Under the magnifying glass it looks like #1 with a small upside down question mark beside it
I guess this is some kind of makers mark?
Any educated guess??

Attachments

• mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Ones like these can almost be lumped in with unmarked bottom-gated pans. Even though it appears to be early to mid-20th century in design, there were more than a few foundries we'll never be able to identify making pans in that era, most by using pans from other makers as patterns, obscuring the markings and then adding their own.

The only thing we know for sure is that it's 1960 or earlier? (No "Made in U.S.A." on bottom) correct?
Does the strange #8 ( loops not completed) but more like a large "S" when magnified tell us anything ?

Attachments

• DSC05158880.jpg
    DSC05158880.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05158880large.jpg
    DSC05158880large.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
It's likely pre-1960s, but not by the lack of Made In USA. The oddly formed 8 is more likely carelessness than purposeful. Other casting voids on the bottom and the bottom of the handle also point to lax quality control standards. Typically, those unmarked pans whose makers are known can be identified by a single photo of the entire bottom of the pan including the handle, which is why that type of image is primarily requested when asking for help with identification.

Thanks Doug I got it for everyday cooking ,so it's my beater skillet ,don't have to worry about the value on this one,your the best!

look up Birdsboro.
this pan fits with the characteristics found on known birdsboro pans... the odd font of the size on top of the handle, smooth bottom with small number at 6 oclock..

That I've seen of Birdsboro, labeled or not, have been of better casting and marking quality. I've seen an unusually-shaped numeral 5, but not an 8. The 8s also seem to have the pattern number inscribed further from the edge and with ghosts of inset heat rings. Could be the 1 was the odd-bird (no pun intended) pattern.

Back