Is There Anyway to Repair a Pinhole in Cast Iron?

SShort

I have a 12 inch cast iron spider skillet with a pin sized hole that goes all the way through. Anyway to repair it?

Probably your best and only option would be to find a welder that's comfortable working with cast iron. They use nickel rod to repair cracks, and in this case, fill a hole. After welding, it'll be ground down to make the surface smooth again, but being repaired with nickel you'll always see a shiny spot where it was repaired.

SShort
I have several skillets with a pin hole. In each case I didn't notice until i cleaned the pan. The holes were plugged with carbonized foods.

Cook a batch of cornbread in them. The cornbread will get into the pin hole, carbonize and plug it. May take two or three batches but it will plug the hole.

Hope it works for you too.

Jack

I used to work in the auto manufacturing industry and was a die maker (not "dye" maker). Cast iron is used extensively to make dies. You can repair cast iron by drilling a hole through the piece that is just barely larger than your hole, then run a tap through it to give it threads. Then you can screw in a bolt (or a piece of threaded rod) and grind it down flush to the surface. Voila! Hole repaired. If it's truly "pin hole size", I agree - cook with it a few times.

Scuff it up and pack with slow setting original JB Weld. Smooth it out while still wet. Season over it after its set up, washed and dried.

@Shawn R - is this something you've actually tried before?

Personally I'd be hesitant using an epoxy to repair a cooking surface. Technically JB Weld is non-toxic / food safe after being fully cured, but they also don't recommend eating it. And its max temp is 600 degrees.

Would it even take seasoning?

Back