Erie Fakes?

Dan B

Hi All,

I've come across two Erie skillets on-line that look to be the real thing and have a couple of questions:
  • Are counterfeits/fakes much of an issue/concern?
  • Was wondering if there might be any specific things I should be looking for when I see them "live" to ensure they are not fakes (I have no reason to suspect such a thing to be knowingly done by the seller, but who knows if he was "fooled")?

As always, many thanks.

The expectation would be that if they were fake they would have flaws obvious to all but the most inexperienced eye. Concerted efforts to counterfeit tend to be opportunistic, and lean towards small items that don't require skilled finishing processes to make them appear to be genuine.

you might run into an occasional gate marked pan with Erie markings... not necessarily a 'fake'... still probably 100 year old pan... but not an actual griswold 'ERIE' pan either... it would be a re-cast that used an ERIE pan as it's pattern.

Thank you D Madden. I should have mentioned I was aware of the re-cast issue.

In the end I passed on the Erie skillets (a Second Series and a Fourth Series (artistic)) ... an asking price of over $275 each was to dear for me.

Back