Crescent Foundry in St. Louis--dates?

KatieH

My husband and I ran across a very nice #8 Crescent Foundry skillet, and he has restored it beautifully. I'm curious about the age of the piece, and I am having a hard time finding anything out about this foundry. Can anyone out there help me?

The skillet has the number 8 incised on the top of the handle. The cooking surface is very smooth, so I know it's a vintage piece. The bottom features an inset heat ring. In the middle of the bottom side is the word OZARK, with CRESCENT FD'Y CO. ST LOUIS curved over it and ST. LOUIS, MO. curved under it. The pn is 258.

I'd appreciate any information you can give me on this. Thank you!

Our #8 cleaned up just beautifully. The cooking surface is gorgeous--just a few very light utensil marks, and a little pitting in the center on the bottom as if it has been used on a gas stove. I am really interested to know more about the history of the Crescent Foundry! Please let me know if you find anything.

the only info I can find on the internet seems to indicate that there was a Crescent foundry in or around St Louis dating back to the mid 1800's to late 1800's... of course the references seem to indicate that they were not very successful financially as one reference mentions a loan of $9k to the principal owners of the Crescent foundry and it was being seen as a 'bad debt'... as one of the owners was now dead and the other insolvent... the other reference mentions that someone was operating under the name Crescent foundry near St Louis and was leasing a foundry (formerly for pulleys and shafts) and as of 1901 was doing good business... no idea if either of these was making hollow ware or more industrial castings. The ozark marked items I've seen seem to have been made later than 1901... so it could have been yet another incarnation of 'Crescent Foundry'.

Back