Pitted Erie #8

At least the cooking surface looked good in the before pic. If it cleaned up nicely, should be a good user.

I share the frustration about sulfur pitting. Cleaned a large block, slant EPU for a friend a few months ago and it too had a lot of sulfur pitting.

Cooking surface is beautiful. A couple of questions: 1) I’m getting a few spots to flake off the bottom. I presume this is metal I’m flaming off? And will it continue to flake over time as rust does its thing? 2) because of such pitting will I notice it when cooking? Will I get uneven heating?

Thanks.

I think you have some heavily carbonized seasoning in the pitted areas... that's probably what is coming off now... sometimes the lye bath won't touch the carbonized stuff... I'd hit the bottom with a small stainless steel wire brush to get into the pitting and make sure all that stuff comes off now before you start re-seasoning.

Here it is after 4-5 hours in a vinegar bath and attacked vigorously with a steel brush (manually).

https://i.imgur.com/HzYp6kE.jpg

D_Madden, are you saying I should keep trying to flake some stuff off whether it’s carbonized crud or rusty iron?

ohhhh... I see what you are saying now... yeah that looks like metal flaking off not carbonized crud... I'm not sure about that...maybe some of that carbonized seasoning was holding it all together... the bottom isn't going to be 'pretty' no matter what... I think you going at it with a wire brush would have removed anything that would potentially be falling off in the immediate future... maybe go ahead and get some oil on there and see if it fills in a bit... and preserve what metal is left.

Did you leave it in the vinegar bath for 4-5 hours at one time or 30 min at a time for a total of 4-5 hours?

Back