Some ID help and approximate values please

SteveM

Doing some 'cleaning' of the house and going through things that have been stored for years and mostly passed down in the family. I came across a few cast iron skillets that I would like more information about. All in all there are two Griswold plated (one with lid), a Griswold non-plated, a Griswold waffle/griddle, and a deep Wagner.

I am attaching pictures below. I'm not sure if I will keep these, sell, or what. In particular I am interested in information on the Griswold's Erie as some research shows this logo was not made very long? Again, I don't know anything about these so I could be wrong there. I will try to get some pictures of the others posted here if there is any helpful feedback.

Any information would be great and thank you ahead of time!

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
That is a really nice skillet. It looks to be in good condition. I sure wouldn't part with it for less than $80 but it might be worth more than that. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Please do share the other pictures you talked about. We like pictures.

Steve, the Griswold Erie skillet is awesome! Please keep it for your family. To me Griswold Erie skillets are a holy grail. But if you post it eBay.......:icon_scratchchin:

To be honest I would rather keep the ones that aren't plated. Would still like some information on this piece though and an honest value assessment if I were to list it for sale... honest please :-D

Here are some pictures of the other plated which I DID put on ebay so if anyone is interested in it you can find it there.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 63
Holy mackerel! Beautiful pans! I'm not sure what they are wort, but I know I can't afford them. That's why I collect Lodge and not Griswold.

Holy mackerel! Beautiful pans! I'm not sure what they are wort, but I know I can't afford them. That's why I collect Lodge and not Griswold.

I have my grandfather's Griswolds and Wagners but I have some vintage one and three notch Lodge skillets that I collected myself and I love them just as much. Good thing for me too as the prices on Griswolds and Wagners in my area are $$$ as well. Steve you have got a few nice 'uns there. Congrats!

I honestly think I am just going to keep the non-plated skillet and griddle which are both in excellent condition. I am not looking to start collecting (or at least right now I'm not) and don't have a need for multiples. One skillet for stuff and the griddle which looks like it would be great for bacon 'n eggs is good for me.

So nobody has any information about this Griswold's Erie? I figured a collector's forum would be my best shot at good information about it and possible value, but so far nobody seems to have any.

The blue Book value for your skillet in mint condition is 40-60$. The book is outdated so the true value is actually higher. Collectors do not pay big money for plated skillets unless they are in absolutely mint condition. If you do an ebay search of recently sold plated Erie skillets you will find that I gave you an honest assessment of what I believed the value to be. If your skillet was not plated I am sure you could get more for it.

We all have our favorites, but I would not have let go of that no. 7 skillet with lid! C'est dommage, it's not mine to own or sell--I hope you get good value for it though.

Bonnie,

Are you talking about the #9 Griswold's Erie or the #7 with the lid. Looking on eBay and seeing some of the prices there I can't imagine the #9 going for that price. I have yet to find an image of anything close to it anywhere on the web.

I am talking about the #9 Griswold. Are you looking at asking prices or sold for prices? I can ask anything I want but that doesn't mean it will sell. The best way to value a skillet is to check the sold for prices to see what people are paying.
As you can see from this link. Plated skillets are not as valuable as bare iron. You can see a number #6 like yours sold for $51.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw..._salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

Last edited:
I agree with Bonnie, plated skillets aren't nearly as valuable as non-plated. That being said, the Griswold's Erie skillets are extremely unusual. The size of the skillet has a huge bearing on the value. I once sold a #12 for $385, but 12's are extremely rare and thus drove the price on the one I sold. Recently a bare #9 sold on eBay for $125. I would expect one like yours to bring somewhere around $100 with the current eBay market. Personally, I would consider keeping it. I know I kind of regret selling mine- they are extremely hard to find and I may never see another in the wild. Good luck whatever you decide.

I agree with Bonnie's and Jody's assessments. Judging on the condition of your skillet my maximum bid would be $100 on eBay. That being said, I know that others here would not go that high with their bids. But on eBay you never know how high any one auction will go. You could go higher or lower than $100. You never know until you actually put it up for bid.

For anyone that was following this the #7 with lid went for $136 + $25 shipping and the #9 without the lid went for $202.49 + $25 for shipping.

I don't regret getting rid of them as I honestly didn't care for the plated look. With that said, I cleaned up and seasoned the non-plated ones I am keeping and they literally look brand new. I've used the griddle a few times now for fried eggs and it is like magic how non-stick it is. I can literally tilt the griddle and the eggs slide all over the place. I am blown away and wonder why I've never used one of these in the past.

So I have a perfectly flat griddle marked 109 I think, a #8 skillet, then a deeper Wagner. The Wagner is not nearly as smooth as the two Griswolds though - definitely a rougher sandpaper-like feel to the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for your reports on the eBay sales, Steve. I knew that no. 7 would bring a high price. The ones you kept and cleaned will continue to give you good service, so it all came out to the good I guess.

Back