Score!!!

Stan D

So, I was a little jealous after a friend got a Wagner 1891 D/O w/ Pyrex lid. Nothing special, but in good shape for cooking. He brought it to me for stripping and seasoning. And I'm out today, Goodwill hunting, and come across a D/O w/o lid, a Wagner Ware Sidney O. The main website lists it from around the 1920s, so I think I did well. It was marked $10.00, but if I signed up for their savings program, I get 30% off it, making it $7.00.

So, I'm guessing the original lid was CI. The Pyrex one from the 1891 fits, and looks like a somewhat standard Pyrex 14 lid(9 3/4", lip to lip), so I should be able to find one.

No questions on this one. I just wanted to brag. I don't get this lucky very often. I'm off to strip it.

It's good to know the possibility still exists to find something at Goodwill. The only CI cookware I've ever seen in any Goodwill store was a bacon press made in China, and I make it a point to walk through the cookware section of at least one store once a week.

This was my third find in almost two years. But also today, I passed on a Chinese skillet, and yesterday I passed on a Lodge griddle.

So, I was a little jealous after a friend got a Wagner 1891 D/O w/ Pyrex lid. Nothing special, but in good shape for cooking. He brought it to me for stripping and seasoning. And I'm out today, Goodwill hunting, and come across a D/O w/o lid, a Wagner Ware Sidney O. The main website lists it from around the 1920s, so I think I did well. It was marked $10.00, but if I signed up for their savings program, I get 30% off it, making it $7.00.

So, I'm guessing the original lid was CI. The Pyrex one from the 1891 fits, and looks like a somewhat standard Pyrex 14 lid(9 3/4", lip to lip), so I should be able to find one.

No questions on this one. I just wanted to brag. I don't get this lucky very often. I'm off to strip it.

Doubtful your friend's Pyrex lid is original anyway, since, according to Wikipedia, "Pyrex made its public debut in 1915 during World War I"

Now, yours... perhaps. Nice find!

Wagner "1891 Original" pieces were produced in 1991 (or maybe as early as 1989). That's what is being referred to. They came with glass lids.

Wagner "1891 Original" pieces were produced in 1991 (or maybe as early as 1989). That's what is being referred to. They came with glass lids.
Oh... THOSE!! I passed up on two of those today, as a matter of fact. I think one was a skillet and the other a DO, if I remember right.

And his glass lid does fit. It's not like I'm looking for an original lid for historical reasons. I'm looking to cook in it.

So, 5 hours in the Easy Off, and I can read the numbers at the 6:00 position. "1268B". The inside is smooth as silk. It's gonna be a good pan. I rinsed it, dried it, and put it back in the bag for a second round of lye. The inside is clean, but the outside is still a bit splotchy.

If you get frustrated trying to find a vintage lid, Cabela's sells new ones. I'm sure you could get a Lodge also. The problem is trying to find one that fits. have a small DO that I want to bring into the store and try. Its a no name modern one, so I am not concerned with authenticity.

And his glass lid does fit. It's not like I'm looking for an original lid for historical reasons. I'm looking to cook in it.

So, 5 hours in the Easy Off, and I can read the numbers at the 6:00 position. "1268B". The inside is smooth as silk. It's gonna be a good pan. I rinsed it, dried it, and put it back in the bag for a second round of lye. The inside is clean, but the outside is still a bit splotchy.
I've noticed that I can even feel the difference when scrubbing a good pan out with SOS pad and BCF. Fun, isn't it?

Just a mild scrub with Scothbrite. No real elbow grease to speak of. I have had to take a metal pick to get stubborn crap out of lettering.

Just a mild scrub with Scothbrite. No real elbow grease to speak of. I have had to take a metal pick to get stubborn crap out of lettering.
Did you see my post about the Puritan I found where somebody did that? Of course, they did other more serious damage as well, but it was clear that somebody scratched the lettering with a sharp object.

I just use a pick to gently remove seasoning/crud from the inside on the lettering. I'm real careful to not scratch anything.

I just use a pick to gently remove seasoning/crud from the inside on the lettering. I'm real careful to not scratch anything.
That is what the SOS and Bar Keeper's Friend does for me. The finer particles of abrasive in the BKF and the thin fibers of the SOS pad are able to get down into those grooves.

But that's what works for me... if your method works for you, more power to you! Glad you're being careful.

Too much? I wish to find one of those complete set,Here on tx and you cry for $25, here people ask at least 3 times more than you paid.:shootself:
That is good to know! It really is difficult to know what we should pay for this stuff, because the prices range so widely! That is why I started a thread on pricing, but that thread doesn't seem to be taking off, for some reason. The price differences I see between garage sales, flea markets, antique malls, and eBay can be astounding. Just eBay alone can be astounding in that regard.

Back