Collecting Vs Using

So, just a little curious as to the general consensus around here. I have a few newer pieces that the wife has added to the CI collection for me, the wildlife series. She and I were talking about hanging them on the wall. Then the other morning I went to fire up the stove and place one of the skillets on there. She stopped me and asked me what I was doing.

Long story short she said that if I used it she would prefer me not to hang it on the wall due to the oil residue. I assured her it would all be ok.

Then I wondered, do you have any pieces that you REFUSE to use or just won’t use because you collect it?? It’s like wine, it betters with use!! Or, am I wrong here. How do you feel?

I think your answer will be kind of dynamic depending on the reason each person collects. What makes most iron collectable is its enduring qualities as fantastic cooking pieces. You will have some people who collect and use it just for that reason but many others collect it as a way to hold or preserve a pieces of history.

I collect Wapaks, love them all, but I wont cook in my #10 Indian Head. I also have a #9 2nd Series ERIE that is in near perfect shape. I dont use it either.I use my whole set of Wapaks every day, one skillet or another, and they serve me well, but I have a special place in my mind for the Indian Head.

Many use and display all of their Iron. Others have special display pieces that never get used and other pieces that are their users. I am a mixture of both styles. I have some users that I also display, and I have some display pieces that never get used. One example for me is the newer Lodge buffalo nickel pan. I had mentioned that I really liked it and that Christmas I received one from two different family members. I display them but they don’t get used because I prefer my older pans as users. If I had the wildlife series I wouldn’t use them for the same reasons.

I promised my wife, “I wanted buy anything I’m not going to use.” So ... I use them all at least once. I figure that l way I’m technically fulfilling my promise. Ha!

I also hang a bunch of them on the wall, even so I use often. I’ve never had a problem with them leaving any oily residue in the wall.

My rationale for buying has been that I will use it. I just counted up – 23 skillets, 3 griddles, 13 cornstick/muffin/gem pans, 7 Dutch ovens/roasters. Several random. But I have used all of them except maybe some gem pans.

I've never really bought to collect but to use. Never the less, I've ended up with quite the collection since if I see vintage cast iron or current Lodge at the thrift stores, I buy it intending to use it (and protect it from idiots). But I've really only used certain pans with a good seasoning I built up (mostly the Lodge pieces I first bought new) and others sit in cabinets. That combined with how much vintage pieces are worth and the worry of damage, I've decided to sell all my vintage pieces. I've replaced most with Lodge, and have started to sand the insides smooth (Lodge cast iron is F'in hard, I worked as a machinist for a while).

I promised my wife, “I wanted buy anything I’m not going to use.” So ... I use them all at least once. I figure that l way I’m technically fulfilling my promise. Ha!

I also hang a bunch of them on the wall, even so I use often. I’ve never had a problem with them leaving any oily residue in the wall.
I'm kind of like you. I have used about 80% of my pieces at least once. I really only use about 10-15 pieces on a fairly regular basis. I have about 100 pieces right now.

I have about 20-25 gem pans that aren't used unless I'm baking. I use to say that I'm a user, but having this many items, I'm both user/collector.

I only use CI, stainless, copper (tin and stainless lined) and carbon steel (wok). I have some Corningware also, but they haven't been used in years to cook with.

Lately, I like to try and use every piece in my CI and CS collection at least once every 3 months or so. However, this isn't strictly necessary as everything is put away "dry" and not oiled after cooking because I don't want any rancid surprises awaiting me when I go to pull a piece out to use.

Back when I had a larger collection before moving into a smaller house, this wasn't always practical. Really wish I had held onto at least one dutch oven, though. Plans are to get a good enameled one, but I'm finding it hard to make a decision.

Really wish I had held onto at least one dutch oven, though. Plans are to get a good enameled one, but I'm finding it hard to make a decision.
ATK (and I) really love Le Creuset, but they rate the Cuisinart a best buy at a fourth the price in its stead.

On topic, I use about 1% of my collection, which is roughly a half dozen pans chosen for specific tasks.

ATK (and I) really love Le Creuset, but they rate the Cuisinart a best buy at a fourth the price in its stead.
Doug,

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I was in the mindset of Lodge vs Le Creuset vs Milo. Never even realized Cuisinart has an enameled dutch oven, will look into it.

i have a Le Creuset that is at least 40 years old. All enameled Le Creuset are made in France. I'd be leery of a China-made one.

Yes Joseph ill chime in. I collect users. That meaning If i can get one at a good price Ill buy it. Now I dont buy something just because it is there for sale unless it is a #8 that would make a nice giveaway skillet to someone who is interested in starting to use cast iron. I have given away 5 or 6 good "users" ie sulfur damaged griswalds, 3 notch lodges, one slightly warped wagner, ect. Most of the recipients went on to buy more iron. as I sit here in my chair I count 29 pieces of iron on the wall and sitting on the wood stove. I am currently in the process of replacing the less interesting ones (3 notch lodge, imports, and anything marked made in USA) with older more valuable pieces. We use them all except a #3 favorite that is cracked, a griswald ash tray (dont smoke), a #3 wagner (unbelievable how pitted it is), and a factory unseasoned lodge cornbread skillet. Mine are hung by ledger boards and the rims rest on the second layer of drywall behind the wood stove revealing their bottoms. They only leave a little oil on the wall if you get too heavy handed with it. It is an old picture now the bottom board is full as well. https://imgur.com/gallery/aBoujYT

Last edited:
" a griswald ash tray (dont smoke)"

You can use it to make your own version of an egg mcmuffin. You need another pan though to flip it into.

Greg, that is a wonderful picture! I really enjoy seeing how others display their collection.

Well, I have so much cast iron that is merely......just sitting. It’s out in the garage with all of my Dutch ovens, just sitting there. I’m not getting any enjoyment out then whatsoever, and I enjoy cooking a great deal. Spoke to a dear friend today, my mother and she said, “well, what good are they doing you just sitting there? You’ll never sell them because you enjoy them far to much. Get your use out of them, and your children will remember that ‘meal’ you use to cook from this one or that one.” She a wise woman. So, over the next week I have a lot of cast iron to break out and start to use.

I've used about 80% of my pieces. The ones that haven't gotten used are primarily my enameled pieces. Over 140 pieces and counting.

I have a crusty rusted and pitted kettle that I doubt will ever get used, or even restored. I also have a monster sized skillet #20 that won't even fit on my stove top or in my oven that I have never used. It has been used as a oil drain pan for a car (yuck) by the previous owner. The rest of the stuff I have gets used.

Back