Old gate mark griddle with raised 7

MEValery

I've searched this forum and have looked at various cast iron photo albums looking for a griddle with a similar handle ( I do like the 1800s handles, why did they stop making decorative ones?) and a raised number 7, but could not find anything that matched.

Does anyone have a quess?
Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 125
Don't think I can answer your question entirely. Have no idea regarding the maker or date of your piece shown.
As far as the handle design....there were a lot of mfg.'s that used similar design which I am guessing did two things (reduced the weight & allowed for more cooling). Similar but not exact type designs are very common on waffle iron bases. You can also see some on the stove lifters (P. 162 BB).
Here is a link on a Victor "Odorless" skillet which appears to be almost exact to yours. BTW...The manufacturer "Victor" in this case was not affiliated with Griswold's Victor line.
Good luck on your search.
http://castironguys.com/product/vic...handle-gate-mark-vent-hole-shipping-included/

Dumb question: Is this piece a "griddle" or a "shallow skillet"? Also, I think the design changes made later to handles have to do with mass manufacture. Your piece is elegant Mark, and I thank you for sharing with us.

My vote would be griddle. Most skillets, shallow or otherwise, would have a pour spout and this one doesn't. Good example of shallow skillet is shown on P. 38 & 39 of the BB. Not sure how you would class a square skillet. Most I've seen are less a pour spout but considering they have four corners I would assume the corner would serve as a pour spout.

That's why I said it looked like a crepe pan . They don't have the pour spouts

Not to stray too far from the original post but Crepe pans generally do not resemble the pan in reference in Valery's thread.
Assumption being that one could make Crepes in most any piece of cookware having a flat surface. Some makers (such as Wagner for instance) actually made a "Crepe-ette Master" which resembles their "Greaseless Frying Pan" if anything less the pour spouts.
See attached link for Crepe Pan.
http://imgur.com/a/jG3dQ

Not sure if this helps with the discussion
The edge of the pan rises at a 45 degree angle with a length of a little over 1/2".

I've never seen a skillet griddle in person, but maybe this was the forerunner of those?

I just like the handle. It looks like the handle on that Victor odorless skillet but sliced down the long axis.

This piece is not like a normal griddle or crepe pan.

I would not use it for pancakes, eggs, crepes, meat, stir fry or anything that splatters.

I would use it for tortillas as it is the right size and the edge would allow for safe shaking and easy flipping.

Problem solved. This is a tortilla pan.*

Hilditch

* Option - Owner can call it anything that he chooses to cook in it pan, such as a grilled cheese pan.

I actually like the reheating tortilla flipping pan because I need to practice doing that flipping thing with something simple like a tortilla. Plus no mess if I miss the pan.
I use a huge griddle when making corn tortillas because I make a bunch for the freezer.

I picked up a Victor smokeless at the flea market covered in grease (as usual) and hiding 2 cracks (as usual) that I did not see until the lye bath. I don't think I'll ever learn. Maybe I should carry a can of easy off with me and if the seller does not agree to me spraying and scrubbing around the handle then I don't buy.

At least this one is nice enough to just hang on the wall.

My neighbor gave me a unmarked Wagner a couple of months ago. I just haven't it stripped yet, been anxious to do pancakes and French toast in it. Not as old as I wanted but it will do till I find a Griswold #109 or 110 and then pass the Wagner to my brother.

C'mon people! This is a griddle. Griddles saw more action than Skillets in the 1800s and before. Common New England griddle. Made in the Boston area. I have three of them (one #7 and two #8s)

Back