Help a newbie out!

DanaL

Hi everyone! I finally found a great deal at a flea market on (what I hope is) a vintage cast iron pan. I was so excited to begin using it, but I'm already running into problems which is bumming me out :( I'm hoping one of you experts will pick this thread up and be able to point me in the right direction... :)

The issue is this: There seems to be an endless grey/charcoal residue coming off the pan...I'm not sure what it is, or if it's a problem or not. I'm hoping it's just a result of the raw/unseasoned iron (pan doesn't seem to be seasoned, it's not blackened and the residue doesn't seem to be "season" flaking off from what I can tell).

I've attached pics, hopefully it helps to show what I mean. I literally went thru a role of paper towels and the residue didn't seem to lessen or "come clean" (i used kosher salt and veg oil to begin cleaning it before seasoning it). I don't want to begin the seasoning process if there's an underlying issue I need to be concerned about.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 1012152318.jpg
    1012152318.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1012152318a.jpg
    1012152318a.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 1012152319.jpg
    1012152319.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 60
About the best description for that, which is not unusual, is "black rust", a type of soft iron oxide normally left after electrolysis cleaning. Nothing to worry about. You can often minimize it by washing the piece with Dawn liquid, rinsing , drying, and proceeding with seasoning as usual.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

Thanks Doug for your quick response and helpful link! I'm feeling a little better about it. My husband was worried that I had been "duped" and aquired a pan that had been spray painted or something! I did wash it out with dish soap initially (though not specifically Dawn brand), and the residue still kept coming off. But maybe once I begin the seasoning process it will prevent that. Off to begin the journey I guess ! thanks again!

There is dish soap and then there is Dawn. They are not the same. If straight Dawn on a plastic brush won't clean it, oven cleaner is next.

Hilditch

Some of the "black" will come off while applying the oil with your first layer of seasoning. Have no fear. Just wipe all the oil off and put it into the oven to season.

FAB! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the extra input, it helps put my mind at ease since I'm new to all this :) I'm definitely going to get my hands on some Dawn to do one last good cleaning (the pan is literally spotless, i.e. no visible built up gunk, food residue, rust, etc etc, it's just that grey residue that seems to endlessly keep coming off)...so, one last Dawn cleaning then off to begin the seasoning process ---- wish me well! lol love and good CI eatin' to you all! <3

Something has to make my hands smooth after playing with iron all day, or the wife will not like.:laughup:

My hands will crack and start to bleed between the knuckles when they dry out, terrible with the cold winters here. Only thing that works for me is a product called Glaxal Base, should be able to find it in any drug store.

I always swore by Bag-Balm, Vermont's Original Moisturizing & Softening Ointment. All the cows recommend it for those "sensitive" areas. :D

I always swore by Bag-Balm, Vermont's Original Moisturizing & Softening Ointment. All the cows recommend it for those "sensitive" areas. :D
According to Wikipedia, "Its uses are claimed to be many, for example: "squeaky bed springs, psoriasis, dry facial skin, cracked fingers, burns, zits, diaper rash, saddle sores, sunburn, pruned trees, rifles, shell casings, bedsores and radiation burns."

Back