Really unusual items...Help!

Guion Leach

From my last post, I was too late to get the ornate bundt pan, but did get the flop pan and the plain usual shaped bundt pan. Would it still be a collectable, even though it is not ornate like the other one? There is an ornate one on ebay now just like the one I saw currently going for $175.00 and ends tomorrow, but I can't afford that! (I could have done the $95.00 price here, but would have had to gone back on Sat. or Sun.)

While scouring looking for the ornate one when I went today, I found some really different items and wonder what they are and if they are worth getting and restoring for collectors who like very different pieces:

1) a tall (6") 3-legged thing with a flat top and a hole just big enough for a small circular griddle pan with a rim to fit into it. Reminds me of a prehistoric fondue situation, but for pancakes. What is it? (Forgot to record the price.) Is it unusual enough to consider getting and reselling?

2)A "1800s vintage" 3 legged spider skillet. Rough and gunky exterior, fairly rough inside, no rust, no name, gate mark though. Maybe more ID under the gunk. ($43.00)

3)Also "1800's vintage" by same vendor an oval griddle with an inner looking lining and a small pour spout, labeled as a "fish fryer." Also rough casting. ($24.00) No name.

4) Maybe a real find... or not. A Tite-Top Dutch Oven with INSET lid like on pg. 64 of Gris. Blue Bk. Did not think to look at size, but measures 12 " diam. and 4 1/2" deep. The lid (don't remember about the pot) has Griswold's AND Wagner's names imprinted and states Tite-Tip Dutch Oven. Sits on three feet. The lid was purposefully attached by so they would not get separate while for sale. The lid obviously really belonged to the pot. HEAVY and sticky around top few inches of the inside of the bowl. Not sure how to get it into something big enough to clean it. Or should I just not attempt to clean it as sell as is?
($85.00)

5) Also a very light weight for its size, but still cast iron 10" skillet, no name on bottom, and very shallow, maybe an inch deep. ($9.00) Pretty good shape, probably will get it as I don't have a 10 ". I'll check for all the regular things when I go back tomorrow if I can get a response to this tonight or early am tomorrow.

6)FINALLY, a Griswold chrome #3 Large Logo skillet, very well worn and used, ($32.00). Not sure its worth that, just throwing that one in for thought.

Again, I wish I knew how to do pictures, but haven't had time this weekend, but soon I will be able to figure it out. Right now I just need your feedback ASAP to the best descriptions I can give. I am willing to spend some money, but not a huge amount for something that isn't at least somewhat promising to be resold to someone who likes the unusual. Thanks SO much, you have always been so helpful!

1,2,3: With the the older items, you really need to be sure what you're looking at is indeed what the vendor says it is. There is a tendency to overprice primitives that may or may not have collectible value.

4: The dual logo items were only produced for a short period in the very late 1950s, and don't seem to hold much collector interest or value. Half or less than that price as a user is a closer value, if undamaged. These "Chuck Wagon" dutch ovens were also seen without the legs.

5: Sounds like an old style griddle or shallow/half skillet. If you have a use for it and it is in good condition, $9 sounds reasonable.

6: The value of plated pieces exceeds that of bare iron only if in perfect condition. Most collectors find worn plating less desirable than bare iron. In bare iron, this pan should be in the $15-20 range.

4: The dual logo items were only produced for a short period in the very late 1950s, and don't seem to hold much collector interest or value.

I think the double TM pieces were from General Housewares Corp who owned the two companies' remains from 1969-99 and those double marked pieces would have been made in the earlier years of that range of dates. What do you say Doug, correct or do I have to rethink my facts?

I was thinking I had read they were made right after the acquisition of Griswold, but I do see, looking through my accumulated photos, that they have "Made In USA" on them, which would put them later.

Back