Orginal or Recast

Dan F

Hello. I picked up this piece recently. Wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. It has a raised 9 on the handle and a 0 on the back, along with a gate mark. Not sure if it is a recast perhaps?

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 48
The design of the skillet places it in the time frame in which the major manufacturers had already moved to side gating. The question here would be are there artifacts of side gating at various places along the rim of the pan. If so, it would indicate a recast or the use of another maker's pan as the basis for the pattern.

Thank you both for this information. Doug, for my own learning, could you tell me what about the design helps you narrow down the date the design would be from? In terms of side gating, there are grind marks along the lip, but what’s a bit perplexing to me is that the grind marks on the lip go all the way around. Wasn’t sure what to make of that. I’ve attached a photo here of the side. Thanks.

Attachments

• F7B816F6-EFDF-4B92-B7CB-917D94C8E9BC.jpg
    F7B816F6-EFDF-4B92-B7CB-917D94C8E9BC.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 26
It's just that it looks like a 20th century pan, but the bottom gate is more a mid-19th century and earlier casting technology. The grind marks going all the way around really shouldn't be necessary unless the sand mold halves didn't meet well enough to prevent the flashing that occurs when they don't. The left third of the rim shown looks like it has the slight protrusion of a side gate.

Back