My New Waffle Iron

NLevine

Hey gang,

I just finished restoring a waffle iron yesterday and i'm very excited about it.

First, I'm glad it's done because restoring a waffle iron is royal pain in the A! All the nooks and crannies, sooooo much detail work! Especially this one, which was a complete rust bucket!
Second, it's a #7, which is cool because it's a rare size.
Third, it's an old one! Take a look at the patent date, 1901!

In regards to tips and tricks, for the little areas, i would tear off a portion of my blue shop rag, drip it in oil when floss the hard to reach areas. I would floss it again with a dry towel scrap to remove the oil and it worked like a charm.

For some reason all but 2 of my photos are failing to upload (maybe a work computer issue?). I'll try to post more when I get home this evening.....stay tuned my well seasoned friends:p

Attachments

• waff3.jpg
    waff3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 80
  • waffles 4.jpg
    waffles 4.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 102
Nice restoration. Those things are never easy to clean and season no matter how you do it. I did a quick check on your piece and I see in the BB p. 88, has what I think is your WI.
According to that data at the bottom of the page, the New American was in circulation from 1910 to 1920 and the rare one was the No. 6 ($250-$350). The No. 7 ( $85-$95) would most likely fall in line with that size. Of course those are old prices and we can all see on eBay that they are asking outrageous prices and getting them. Did you have to redo the handles or were they useable as is? Would like to see more pics. I'm no expert by any means and I could be totally wrong regarding rarity.

A great restore! I am in the midst of restoring a waffle iron and can attest to what a pain in the a-- it can be. I hope my ends up looking as good as yours does.

Here's another pic. Not sure why I'm having so much difficulty uploading photos, it's usually a breeze. I'll try again tonight.

In regards to the handles, i'm going to pick up some dowels and redo them since this waffle iron did not come with any wooden handles.

Attachments

• waffles 3.jpg
    waffles 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 56
Additional pics, finally got them to upload.

Attachments

• waf1.jpg
    waf1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 46
  • waf2.jpg
    waf2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 46
  • waf4.jpg
    waf4.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 48
looks great! When I re did my Stover (which looked almost as bad as yours) I used the E tank, and self cleaning cycle of the oven due to the mouse urine smell. I eventually got it stripped and odor free enough to season. I sprayed the cooking surface with PAM and used my air compressor to blow the excess oil off. I was ripping paper towels left and right and missing large puddles of oil on the + shaped nubs. Compressed air worked great.

Back