restore a oven

BDavis

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/41frodos/slideshow/casr iron

i do not know if i am doing it right,,i use a 4 1/2" grinder with a wire wheel to clean cast pots, then into oven at 450 degrees, for an hour
hit it with the grinder again, then grease it up with crisco and bake at 350 for half an hour

in the picture is a dutch oven i rescued , it was being used as a flower pot
the number is 8 and it has a H or an R next to the 8
anybody know anything about this pot

I don't use a self cleaning oven any more but had very good luck with one. Just no wire handles in the oven. And I have always and continue to use a 6" wire wheel on a bench grinder with great results and no damage. It's all in how you manage the wheel and the type of wheel. I use lye then wire brush then, after a scrub with comet and rinsing I will heat the pan slightly and coat with solid crisco then wipe dry. This is all the protection the pans need in my dry CA environment. When I want to use a pan I just use it and let it season itself, no multiple coats and in and out of the oven nor vinegar and all that rigamarole. But there are many different ways to clean and restore and you have to find what works best for you. I chose my methods when no information was readily available in the 1970s.

Back