Rare piece amx??

Gary Briggs

Hi. I'm a new member to the site!! I recently purchased 4 pieces of early cast iron. I'm not able to identify the maker of one piece. I've attached a pic of the four pieces and the piece I'm wondering about is the one on the left...covered kettle. I can make out what I believe to be the letters AMX and then there are 2 or 3 letters I can't make out. The X appears to be larger than the AM. There also appears to be a logo of some sort on the other side, but it's just too tough to make out. These pieces came out of a very early home and I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the piece of the maker by the letters I can make out. THANKS!!! Gary

Attachments

• image2 (12).jpg
    image2 (12).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 100
Just a guess but I think it is an Asian/Japanese cooking pot. I've seen them before with different type shapes and textured finishes. I should have searched the names for them prior to this post but didn't.
Bonnie Scott is good at these type CI pieces. Maybe she will see this post and weigh in.

I found a few pieces similar to your piece but still nothing definite. In our Gray Book (GB) pages 70 & 71 there are a couple that have similar ears that the bail attaches to and they are a tri-pod footing but that's about as close as I can get.
Asian cast iron pictures didn't show anything that appears to be your piece but I only looked at Japanese and Korean.
Some of those type shapes were cast iron fire starters and the lid had a slot for the torch to fit in.
As so many others will ask please send additional pictures of all views and the lettering. The more clues we have to examine the more likely an I.D. will turn up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Michael but I don't recognize this piece. It is similar to the Iberian 1700s pot in the Grey book. I can't seem to find any more pictures like this this pot, and I have never come across one myself. Maybe it is rare?

Back