Love

W. Hilditch

Yes today is a commercial day, but it is also a reminder. It’s been said that cooking is an act of love in itself. I sure do hope so ‘cause I just spent hours trying to make the 14th a good day. I made Vichyssoise ‘cause that is what she wants with her steak tomorrow night. Then I made some Griswold heart shaped patty shells that will be filled with banana pudding tomorrow.

If you have made the patty shells you know there are two challenges. Not setting the stove on fire and getting them right. The pie drip pan saved me by catching at least 1/4 cup of oil and burning most of it up without a flame. When you get them right the self satisfaction is so good it’s OK if nobody loves you. You feel like you have arrived with cast iron cooking.

OK. Hearts and stars waffles with sausage for brunch. Finish dessert and cook a steak. If that does not show my SO I love her, I’ll let her go. Oh yea, I’ve got a cool card and flowers too.

Hilditch

If all else fails, show her gold and sparkly things to mesmerize her and make her forget everything.

Scott

PS. To all the women out there, This is an attempt at humor and isn't necessarily the truth or what I truly believe.

Last edited:
Your inspiration for this day got me to thinking. I have an old Martin Stove & Range 12 cup gem pan that's perfect for this day. Have no wife to celebrate but do have three grand daughters ages 1, 3, & 6 that I love dearly. Attached are a couple pic's of my brownies I just whipped up that turned out surprisingly better than I expected. I'll take to them later today as a surprise.
Thanks Hilditch for the idea.

Attachments

• P2140247 - Copy.jpg
    P2140247 - Copy.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P2140249 - Copy.jpg
    P2140249 - Copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 37
Guys those shells and brownies look very, very good. Hilditch I am curious to know how those shells hold up throughout the day and how they handle your banana pudding filling.

Mike, my recipe made crunchy shells that absorb moisture quickly and then get tough. They held the bananas and pudding just fine but we had to eat them with a knife and fork. This is a make it and eat it now recipe even with rosettes. In this pic they had been filled for 4 hours and others in the fridge for 8 hrs. look the same.

Hilditch

Hilditch, thanks for sharing. As long as they are able to hold the pudding without falling apart they would work perfectly for me. I might have to bust out with something like that at an upcoming dinner party.

And, might I add, that's quite the spread. The rose was a nice touch. Well done.

For those wondering what to do with leftover shells filled with banana pudding: Sauté 1/2 banana sliced in 1 tbsp butter & a heaping tbsp brown sugar per shell. Pour over room temperature shell. Tough call between this and Bananas Foster.

Hilditch

Hilditch and MD: You guys are the BOMB! This whole thread brought tears to my eyes--thanks for proving once again that males of the species are sometimes the BEST!! (And a late Happy Valentine's Day from West Lafayette.) Love ya, S.

Hilditch and MD: You guys are the BOMB! This whole thread brought tears to my eyes--thanks for proving once again that males of the species are sometimes the BEST!! (And a late Happy Valentine's Day from West Lafayette.) Love ya, S.

Thank you so much......Way too kind I might add. I'm thinking around Easter Hilditch is going to post something with the Griswold rabbit mold and I won't be able to compete with him.
The grand daughters loved them by the way and my oldest daughter ask if they were pot brownies. Told her the thought never crossed my mind and I wouldn't know where to get the stuff anyway.
Again....Thanks.

Thank you. I hope that tear rolled down onto a smile.

MD, there is so much solid sugar around at Easter I concentrate on the champagne brunch and a better than HoneyBaked ham with au gratin potatoes for dinner. No competition. Especially with your girls. Anything you make for them makes you the winner. Nanna Moorehouse’s Ginger Gems below might be an excellent choice. You may want to try a batch for yourself for practice.

Beware. The girls are not going to forget. If you drop the ball next year they will let you know. Starting traditions is good and lasts a lifetime for all.

Hilditch

Back