My latest Iron

DSBradley

I bought these two pieces off a site on Facebook for $20 each. The bowl shaped pan is almost as big as the skillet and has a repair. I would love to date these but I know that's out the window. It's funny though, you see the pictures but have no idea as to size until you hold it in your hand. Very heavy.

http://imgur.com/a/bbP3a

Scott

Dating those may not be out the window. There is a chapter in the Grey book by Tyler starting 0n pg. 125 that nails down handle styles and talks about leg shapes that may do it for you.

Hilditch

It just hit me. Those long narrow handles are perfect for wooden handles. Take a 4 or 5” long 1 1/2 “ square or round piece of wood. Split it in half lengthwise, carve out indentations for the handle and put them back on the handle. Wrap it tightly with a wet leather thong, let it dry and Bingo!.

Hilditch

What a great idea. I was thinking like a file handle but I like your idea better. Thanks. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Scott

A file handle was my first thought too. Then I figured it may have been hard back in the 19th century to drill a square tapered hole 3 or 4" deep.

Actually, that sounds like quite a challenge today.

Hilditch

I like and can do your idea of splitting a piece of wood in half and tracing the handle out and hogging the wood. I've been wondering if the leather is the best idea or if I could somehow band it with iron hoops. Creative minds think alike. A file handle with a round center hole would work but like a file, you have to pound it tighter at times. I'd rather drill and pin it.

Scott

Hoops would have the be the exactly correct size to provide some holding force and would expand when they got warm, but could work if enough wood was left in the slot. That handle style was shown as 1700’s to 1840 and I was trying to stay period. No holes allowed. The raw leather 3/8” wide and wrapped like a pool cue would provide some clamping force, cover most of the split and show a great patina after a few uses, as would the wood. All period.

Hilditch

Who am I to change what they deemed to be a usable handle. I'm all about keeping it real and correct so that's the ticket. I'm guessing that deer or elk was more available to use than cowhide or maybe buffalo. Options, options. . .

Scott

Back