1800's? tulip handle cast iron skillet

CMDeFelice

I can't seem to find my grama's specific skillet online. Has anyone seen this skillet before? I have found basic info: It has a gate mark, heat ring, and a fat "7" on the bottom.
Pan has a single spout on the left when holding in the right hand.
There are 2 tulips on the handle and the inside is smooth, while the outside is crusty as can be. Should I leave the outside crusty? Does it hurt the value if I clean it up? No cracks or rust. Should I sell or keep? My mom says keep....but I could use the money. thanks for your help.

Attachments

• castironfrypan1.jpg
    castironfrypan1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 156
  • castironfrypan7.jpg
    castironfrypan7.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 130
Hello CM and welcome to CIC. I'll try and give you my best answer but it may be wrong. You have what's known as a fancy handled skillet made late 1800s to early 1900s. The 7 refers to the size hole it fit on a woodstove known as an "eye". It helps the value to clean it but only if you know how to clean it. I would NOT recommend the self-cleaning oven way to clean it. Lye and/or eTank only. Selling vs Keeping. I know you need the money but money is fleeting. I mean that once you spend it, it's gone. This skillet though is a piece of history of your family. If you knew your grama, then every time you use it, you will think of her and you can't replace that. I vote with your mom and keep it, you can always find the money somewhere else.

Scott

PS - That is a very beautiful skillet and a work of art but not valued at more than $100 maybe.

Hundreds if not thousands of small foundries existed in the timeframe it was made, mid-19th century, so knowing the maker is virtually impossible. Cleaning it properly will not hurt value, and will enhance resale value somewhat. It has collectible value, but would need to be undamaged. I have similar I paid as little as $5 for, but eBay might get you as much as $50-75 these days. I'd rather have a family heirloom than $50.

I'm with Scott on keeping vs selling. It's value as a family heirloom far exceeds the amount of cash you'd get trying to sell it on ebay. No need to worry about the buildup on the bottom either. It takes a lot of time to build up a nice thick coat of seasoning, and the cooking surface of that pan looks like it was very well taken care of. Since you know the pan's history I'd say skip the stripping and just start using it.

Very Nice skillet that you have there. Good luck replacing it down the road when after you realize that a family heirloom means more than $50. - $100.00+

I have been their many years ago, but still have my family heirlooms that were passed down to me. Give it back to your mom to hold for you.

Yes, I like it and would like to have it, but Please keep it and enjoy its fine quality. They do not make them like that anymore.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/538461699175751523/

From personal experience, I'd say do not let this skillet get away from you--regrets will follow! Note previous comments and take them to heart.

Oh Man, that's a nice looking piece. If it came from anyone in my family (like others have said) I wouldn't ever sell it. You may be able to get $100-$150 out of it, but later on you'll wish that you'd kept it.

The tulip design has been seen quite frequently on painted furniture in Pennsylvania. I would not be surprised if it was made there.

My 2 cents: First, if in any way you can do without the money, keep it. It came from your Grandmother, so no need to worry about what may have been cooked in it, and in my opinion, no need to make it look like it did when it came from the foundry. In fact, the beautiful thing about that skillet is that it DOESN'T look like it came from the foundry - it came from the family. Also, the build-up on the bottom is minimal, and it would take many years to build back the patina on the inside. There has also been some recent discussion on this very topic on a fB page devoted to bottom-gated skillets like yours (monitored by Steve Stephens) which may be of interest. How I wish that I had a piece of cast iron from my grandmother, especially one well seasoned and as beautiful as the one you are showing. You are quite fortunate.

There are a few out there. I have a couple. I believe this sold recently on Ebay but I didn't buy it because it went for stupid money.

Back