View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Waffle Iron Name Take Your Pick

So part of being a collector is being a researcher. This is the part my hands stay clean, no digging in old attics, no scrubbing old iron, no seasoning iron.

I am going with #3 in my first post and agreeing with D_Madden. This was my thoughts along, but the other 2 things do happen so need keep the eyes and mind open.

Companies changed and formed new partners.

Short time line.

Joseph Cox Born in NY 1819, and by early 1840s was engaged in stove making with his brother David in Troy, NY.
Abram Cox born in NY 1816, also engaged in foundry and stove making in Troy, NY around 1837. In 1847 tired of working for others he branched out on his own as a sole trader, eventually in partnership with F.H. Warren & Alex Morrison in Troy, Ny until his departure for Philadelphia.

The Cox brothers experience in the stove foundry business in Troy, NY & wholesale and retail trade in Philadelphia equipped them well to go into large scale manufacturing in Philadelphia on their own account. Both brothers joined partnership in 1853 - 1853, A. & J. Cox. Sometime in 1854 they took on a new partner P.F.Hagar. They parted ways in 1857, and in 1858 the 2 brothers formed a partnership with John Whiteman, Cox - Whiteman - Cox. That partnership ended with the deaths of Joseph Cox & John Whiteman in 1881. Abram Cox passed in 1885.

The last waffle iron I show is a Johnson - Cox & Fuller That was David Cox in Troy, NY 1850

By the looks of things the Cox brothers shared the waffle iron rights to its use. My thoughts.

Ok, so what does a stove maker have to do with a waffle iron you ask.

A lot of foundry / stove makers also made hollow ware to go along with there stoves, this is the waffle iron fits in

Credit, Howell Harris, Thank you Doug