Prices

I have often heard the advice to average out a range of eBay prices to get some idea of how to price cast iron, so last night I set out to do some of that. I'm confused. It just doesn't make any sense, nor does it fit my street reality.

Now, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck... I understand supply & demand and how the willingness to sell/buy and condition affects prices. But there must be some sense of order, doesn't there? OK, maybe not.

For example, a Wagner EPU #5 (pattern 1055) ranges on eBay from $29 - $41 (including shipping) (I tossed out the one that sold for a shocking $82 as an anomaly) and got an average of $34.

Yet, I have two of those, one I got for $15 (flea mkt), and the other for $8 (pro estate sale). I'm assuming the flea market seller got his for around $8 as well, since he had to make a profit.

I saw SBL Griswolds ranging from $27 up to $69 (average of 8 of them came to $45). Condition seemed to be similar on all pans listed.

That is a pretty wide range of prices. Those of you that sell... do you just pick what sounds good to you? Do you start at the high end so that you have plenty of room to come down? It would be helpful to me to have a discussion on this, as my collection is quickly outgrowing my available space.

I hit a couple of antique stores today and did a little price checking. All #8's.

Unmarked pre-60's Wagner $22
Unmarked pre-60's Wagner $52
Unmarked hammer finished $80
Unmarked #8 $66

From $22 to $66. All pretty much in the same condition.

Oh, and #3's:

Griswold #3 $85
Wagner #3 $12
Generic #3 (2) $15

See why I'm confused? I guess I need to just stick with what I'm willing to pay, but still, with such variation it is really difficult to know what others are really paying.

I only pay what I'm willing to pay for an item so whatever the "market" is doing doesn't matter much to me.

?? What is a Wagner EPU? I've never heard of EPU being used with Wagner. With Griswold it means Erie, Pennsylvania, USA and pertains to how the skillet, pan, etc. is marked.

FWIW, Wagner didn't use pattern numbers. They used catalog numbers. Griswold used pattern numbers.

I only pay what I'm willing to pay for an item so whatever the "market" is doing doesn't matter much to me.

?? What is a Wagner EPU? I've never heard of EPU being used with Wagner. With Griswold it means Erie, Pennsylvania, USA and pertains to how the skillet, pan, etc. is marked.

FWIW, Wagner didn't use pattern numbers. They used catalog numbers. Griswold used pattern numbers.

You're right, of course, about Wagner EPU. Just meant the standard Wagner, Sidney -O-.

Also right about the terminology of pattern numbers vs. catalog numbers. But my point has nothing to do with terminology... it has to do with prices. Sure, you're only going to pay what you want to pay, but you can't tell me that is not influenced at least somewhat by what others are willing to pay, which influences what asking prices are.

Sure, you're only going to pay what you want to pay, but you can't tell me that is not influenced at least somewhat by what others are willing to pay, which influences what asking prices are.

I guess that depends on where you buy your cast iron. If you're buying on ebay, a FB auction page, or an antique shop then prepare to pay more than at a yard sale, estate sale, tag sale, flea market, etc.

I guess that depends on where you buy your cast iron. If you're buying on ebay, a FB auction page, or an antique shop then prepare to pay more than at a yard sale, estate sale, tag sale, flea market, etc.
Yeah, I guess that is my point. Or, at least part of it. Even within any of those groups, the range is extreme. I'm just not used to that wide a range in prices of anything. Generally, they (prices of every day commodities) seem to settle down to within somewhat of a fairly narrow range. Sure, I expect to pay more for food at my upper-end grocery store than I do at Walmart, but at least they are close.

I can buy a pan at a flea market for $5 and sell it in an antique mall for $60? Blows my mind.

Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute". I know it applies to prices in CI, but there are rarity factors too. I'm looking for a #4 Wagner Ware pre-1960 with the stylized script that is a smooth bottom. They are a little tougher to find and the price of one reflects that. The cheapest one I found is $95.00 so if I want it, that's the price to pay (outside of dickering). I can't even find one #9 of the same type but I guess that's why they call it collecting and not getting.

There is a hinged Griswold lid on ebay for $145 and it has been on there for at least a year. Asking and getting are two different things. I think some folks just really don't want to sell their stuff. Maybe their antique booth is really just a storage room.

Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute". I know it applies to prices in CI, but there are rarity factors too. I'm looking for a #4 Wagner Ware pre-1960 with the stylized script that is a smooth bottom. They are a little tougher to find and the price of one reflects that. The cheapest one I found is $95.00 so if I want it, that's the price to pay (outside of dickering). I can't even find one #9 of the same type but I guess that's why they call it collecting and not getting.

Yeah, I'm finding #4's of any sort, as well as #9's to be pretty rare. In fact, I don't think I have seen either yet, by any maker. 3's and 5's are a dime a dozen. But 4's? Nope.

But supply and demand are one thing... such extreme variance in the price of essentially the same thing... that confuses me.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

There is a hinged Griswold lid on ebay for $145 and it has been on there for at least a year. Asking and getting are two different things. I think some folks just really don't want to sell their stuff. Maybe their antique booth is really just a storage room.
I think you just said a mouthful! Especially with the #3 Griswold (behind locked glass, couldn't see the logo) for $85.

Beyond supply and demand one needs to also look at the variables in psychology, sociology, history, economics, finance, education, geography, political structure, ethnic background, marketing, experience, specific location and management separately for the seller and potential buyer.

Something for sale on eBay pretty much has the above variables covered so the pricing falls on the seller to fit within a huge market. Much more room than a yard sale has available., and thus different pricing structures.

Seldom are two pots of chili the same due to personal taste and emotion. When I find something on eBay I really want, say it’s worth $20 but has been bid up to $40, I just snipe in $500 and it’s mine. My attitude is one of the variables in determining value. I filled a need and the rest is just a number.

I want a #9 BSR skillet, but I don't really want one yet. If things change, watch out.

Hilditch

Beyond supply and demand one needs to also look at the variables in psychology, sociology, history, economics, finance, education, geography, political structure, ethnic background, marketing, experience, specific location and management separately for the seller and potential buyer.

Something for sale on eBay pretty much has the above variables covered so the pricing falls on the seller to fit within a huge market. Much more room than a yard sale has available., and thus different pricing structures.

Seldom are two pots of chili the same due to personal taste and emotion. When I find something on eBay I really want, say it’s worth $20 but has been bid up to $40, I just snipe in $500 and it’s mine. My attitude is one of the variables in determining value. I filled a need and the rest is just a number.

I want a #9 BSR skillet, but I don't really want one yet. If things change, watch out.

Hilditch
But, aren't all of those variables equally true of, say, homes? Yet do you see the same quality of home offered for $30K and $300K? Of course not.

Unfortunately I do. We had this house built in '97-'98 for $125 a sq. ft. It now gets appraised for $92 a sq. ft. on 7 acres. If it was 50 miles South of here on a half acre lot it would appraise for a little over $200 a sq. ft. A $400,000 + difference. Location, location, location.

Locally one can't give CI away. There is no demand, knowledge or finesse. If it didn't come from WalMart, it ain't gud. If it says Griswold it's worth $10 more than nothing, but nobody bought big names in the South. Cheap ruled. It still does. Except in 'Lanta.

Hilditch

Some very interesting comments and observations here. It's worth what they'll pay you is my only understanding of the antiques and collectibles business! I am trying to move my CI, of which we have WAY too much, and pricing is a bear to figure. If I were chucking out a usable but not too exciting item, I'd try to price down. When I've soaked, scrubbed, and seasoned a pan (and Propane is expensive!), I really don't want to "give it away." As for antique stores or booths in a mall being "storage", it's awfully expensive; of course, that one person with more money than sense and a great desire for what you have for sale can make a happy bottom line! If you are willing, as a collector, to drive the many miles and look through flea markets and find yard sales, which I know several of you guys do, then you are really not in the $75.00 or $100.00 pan market, except for those rare and fine pieces which do occasionally make your day! Happy hunting--and if I figure this pricing thing out, I'll be back with you all immediately to share the secret! And Hilditch, you have also touched on a real factor of life in the USA--what in one region is a great price for something might make me faint dead away here in Hoosier land.

But, aren't all of those variables equally true of, say, homes? Yet do you see the same quality of home offered for $30K and $300K? Of course not.

Home sell prices in this market are based on value. Value is placed on the home by an appraiser which takes many things into consideration.

As for CI prices? Man, I have no idea. From booth to booth inside the same flea market the prices change wildly. Even on ebay. I keep an eye on ebay for fun. Grabbed 2 griswolds and an "o" on the same auction for 35 bucks shipped. Yet if I wanted to I could sell one of the large face griswolds I got in that auction for double what I paid for all 3. Seems like a crap shoot to me

Home sell prices in this market are based on value. Value is placed on the home by an appraiser which takes many things into consideration.

As for CI prices? Man, I have no idea. From booth to booth inside the same flea market the prices change wildly. Even on ebay. I keep an eye on ebay for fun. Grabbed 2 griswolds and an "o" on the same auction for 35 bucks shipped. Yet if I wanted to I could sell one of the large face griswolds I got in that auction for double what I paid for all 3. Seems like a crap shoot to me
Well put, Justin! One of the criteria the real estate agent does is to see what other similar houses in the area have sold for. That's a bit tougher to do in our market. The eBay SOLD search is great, but of course, that is only eBay.

Well put, Justin! One of the criteria the real estate agent does is to see what other similar houses in the area have sold for. That's a bit tougher to do in our market. The eBay SOLD search is great, but of course, that is only eBay.

If I get to the selling point of CI I would simply put it on ebay with a buy it now. Stays active for 30 days and is free until it sells. In all reality I think id rather pass them to friends then sell unless its a real expensive piece. The value isnt really that high on most pieces to deal with the bs of selling

Since I began collecting, my interests have changed, and I do have some pans that I'd like to replace with ones that are more to my tastes. I do have one friend that can appreciate cast iron (although she still thinks that her modern Lodge is what cast iron is all about). Next week I will be presenting her with a #10 Wagner.

Since I began collecting, my interests have changed, and I do have some pans that I'd like to replace with ones that are more to my tastes. I do have one friend that can appreciate cast iron (although she still thinks that her modern Lodge is what cast iron is all about). Next week I will be presenting her with a #10 Wagner.

Thats a good friend! I never knew the difference until I cleaned my first piece of old CI and used it. Ive been using a newer lodge for years. Such a night and day difference. The lessened weight alone makes it so much easier to cook on, let alone the surface youre actually cooking on

Back